Monday, October 24, 2011

This Week's "Herbal Project:" Horseradish

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. Did you see my post on miracles? We have a rainstorm here, people coming over this evening, and the last of the deciduous green is turning golden and being blown down.

I just wanted to share this week's "Herbal Project"--horseradish! Remember this monster plant? 
We dug up the roots when Phil went to Oregon, so that he could offer root cuttings to family and friends, so that everyone could have horseradish!

It seems like the soil was a little gravelly, so the roots branched and tendrilled a lot--there weren't many of those big, burly roots like you can get at the grocery store if you know where to look.
Still, when I chopped all this up, it made two cups of very fresh, very concentrated, very pungent horseradish pieces.
 I pulverized it in the Vitamix with a few other ingredients (I'll share below).
 When I removed the lid, it made my eyes water, it made me sneeze, it made me catch my breath! Serious instant sinus cleanse.

And it yielded almost a pint of very concentrated horseradish condiment.
 Raw Horseradish Condiment
2 cups chopped horseradish
1/2 cup vinegar (I used equal amounts rice vinegar and apple cider vinegar)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

Put everything except the olive oil in the Vitamix and blend on high until pureed. You'll probably have to stop a few times and mix everything around with a spatula.
Add the olive oil when it is getting toward smooth.

I really want to try this in mashed potatoes: I think it would be a great spin on them. Otherwise, I have to admit that I've generally thought of horseradish in terms of the non-plant-based foods I fix for Phil and others. It strikes me that there's an opportunity to make some seriously interesting veggie and raw fare with all this pungent goodness.

Speaking of the goodness of horseradish, it's not only good for sinuses, although that's obvious. It's also a potent diuretic, and it has antibacterial properties, so can help heal infections both in the respiratory and digestive tracts.

Update from last week: I poured off my milk thistle tincture today.
So, I have almost a pint of tincture that's strong but not overpowering. If anyone needs support for their liver, I'm now in business.

Do you have any great uses for horseradish to share?