Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Food As Crime and Punishment

Just a quick thought for today, as, like everyone else, I continue to strive toward balance, like the ball circling the hole or the moth around the flame. And although I have no energy today, how lucky that I can post a blog sitting on the futon at home as opposed to having to go on a mission!

Being back home invokes a whole backlog of paperwork, gardening and general rearranging that needs to be done - and the beat goes on for everything else too. I'm now recognizing that even though it's 'home,' this engenders a stress all of its own that probably requires special self-care.

We have guests at the moment, as I've mentioned, which means communal dinners, sometimes at odd times, depending on how late they get back from whatever adventure they're on. Aside from the obligatory meat and carbs, I'm always making a big salad from our garden and also some veggies. Last night I roasted those beautiful beets from our garden, with sprinkles of salt and pepper and a little coconut oil. About 20 minutes before they were done (I roasted them for about an hour and 15 minutes at 400), I added some fresh dill and mint from the garden. 



I mentioned when I was up in Fairbanks that one of the ways I made sure to stay functional was to eat very conservatively - not to try anything unusual or different from what I normally eat. Well, now I was home and these were beets Phil and I planted, harvested that very day - what could go wrong? They're also supposed to be one of the most nutritious and protective foods.

Well, I ate four or five little slices (maybe half a small beet total) and a whole day later I'm still feeling sick to my stomach. I would never have guessed that they'd make me react like that! No one else had a problem and everyone loved them. So perhaps the message for me is that this is still a 'stressful' time and that I should still be 'conservative' about what I choose to eat. Raw beets hurt my throat, so if I decide I want to eat any more, I'll have to pickle them or maybe I can get away with light steaming.

But here's a perverse thing I did in response (confession time)! Since my stomach was already hurting and I already felt sick, I had a few bites of 'nuttella' I'd made from filbert butter (that I'd made from nuts we'd harvested at Phil's parents'), cocoa powder, xylitol, a little sea salt. Sugar free, quality ingredients, it sounds pretty harmless, right - just like the beets. But it was definitely something I'm 'not allowed.' I'm not supposed to have cocoa because of adrenal problems, and my inner dictator fears that something like that will make me fat. And for some reason, that nuttella also makes me feel sick (maybe because of guilt?) But the chocolate aspect of it is definitely addictive to me, so then I had a couple more bites of it this morning!

Crime and punishment? That's often how I feel around food. Not very uplifting - perhaps having brought consciousness to it, it's now time to work on transforming it. And of course, it's an example of how different we all are. 

I want to remember that food is a gift, and a means for sharing joy, and to invite my body to participate in that.

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl, thanks for your sweet comments on my blog :) I am sorry to hear about the beets not sitting well with you. Michelle and I have noticed that we like beets fermented or light steamed or even blended up in a smoothie (our tummies seem to handle it). We are starting to realize that certain veggies have to be slight cooked for our stomachs to handle it well (meaning actually digest it, haha). And try not to be so hard on yourself about having some nutella, I know it is hard because we sometimes still give ourselves a hard time for things. But just remember you are a beautiful person and you are the right path to heal. And that your body will heal, stay positive you will get through this :)
    Sending lots of hugs! I hope you feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beets are such a powerful detoxifier that i once gave myself an unintentional (liver) detox. guessing it was liver but yeah, they are potent and you were prob feeling the backlash of detoxing symptoms. sorry you are dealing!

    thanks for the love and light, as always!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!