Sunday, December 26, 2010

Chocolate and Other Adventures; Funny Faces

Happy Holidays to everyone! We had fresh snow for Christmas day, and lovely times with family and friends. After a late night last night, this morning was the first morning in a while that I didn't leap up and start making chocolate of some sort, or other goodie-prep, and funnily enough my appetite is better today. I didn't make the de-stress connection at all - my clever husband had to point it out!

Here's some of what I was up to:
-spread out to chill atop our freezer out on the stoop: the good thing about how cold it is here is that chocolate firms up fast. That's also the bad thing, because it's hard to make the initial chocolate without getting congealed cacao butter _everywhere_!
 The above picture became these nut-seed bars: so delicious, so beautiful, Phil's daughter's new favorite breakfast!...
...and these ginger ganache truffles.
I also made white chocolate-blueberry truffles...
...more hazelnut-amaretto-cherry truffles...
...chocolate-dipped mint bars (in process here)...

...and still had some congo bars from earlier.

The mint bars were based on the recipe in Living Raw Food by Sarma Melngailis; the truffles and bars were somewhat based on recipes in Sweet Gratitude. That's why I NEED to own that book--I could barely restrain myself from making everything in it!

Did I mention--my major adaptation was to make everything very low sugar. I used, variously, stevia, xylitol, erythritol, glycerine, coconut nectar and a special syrup I'll tell more about in a moment.

Taking a break from chocolate--first thing Christmas morning I peeled six pomegranates for cheesecake!
That's a lot of pomegranate!
And the juice (ready to go with cashews etc in the blender here) is just so beautiful!

 Boy, were my hands sticky at the end of that process! And then imagine, with this chocolate-and-cheesecake factory, and no running water, how mess can build up and cleanup can be tricky!

 Don't even think about washing that mesh bag from the pomegranate juice... Yes, that blue jug only holds six gallons of water, and it goes fast when you're prepping up a storm...

My Special No-Sugar Sweetener--OK, it's not mine, it turns out. But as I was running out of coconut nectar and loath to spend another $10 for less than 2c of it, I wondered about making a xylitol syrup. And I googled around and discovered that it could be done! I followed the suggestions on this link and got me a syrup that isn't raw at all but is very low-glycemic and neutrally flavored.
I boiled the syrup a little too long, evidently, because apart from what I used that morning and blended very well, the rest crystallized. Beautiful crystals, though:

I didn't manage to take pics of everything I made, and I forgot to picture the coconut whisky I made using the xylitol syrup, and the to-die-for colada mix to go with it. Raw pina colada with coconut whisky because Phil's daughter doesn't do well with rum and it was as well to make it sugar-free too!

Update 12/27--Managed to snag pics of the pina colada at Phil's daughter's last night!


Take a break to watch this rooster pheasant high in the tree enjoying some frozen mountain ash berries. They are big birds to be so high in the trees. Take a break while Phil goes skiing, and I'll pass over the big cleanup and frantic gift-wrapping operation I undertook, and the moment when I almost set the cabin on fire through a mishap with parchment paper in the oven when I had run out of water...
 ...and here we are at our friends' house, dressed up and party-moded, putting stuff together...I didn't get a good picture of the mango salad I made from Raw Food Real World per request,but you can sort of see it below... I love playing in David's kitchen!
 ...together with a tantalizing choccie pic. And here's a slightly better one together with my usual green salad. You can always use and enjoy a green salad--or I can!
 I love the texture of the julienned mango, and was really impressed that I managed to peel four mangoes and julienne three of them in about 15 minutes flat!

I also made a thai-flavored stew with eggplant, yam, onion and napa and purple cabbages, simmered in lemongrass, ginger, turmeric and coconut milk...
 Back to the chocolates - all together now!
Yummies...
And here is the pomegranate cheesecake--double yum! I'm so glad that I asked our hosts to look through the books and make requests: it helped me to focus somewhat.
Well-enjoyed just as is...
...or with pina colada the next day.

Again--all of these sweets and desserts were low-glycemic (sweetened with coconut nectar/xylitol syrup/glycerine/xylitol/erythritol/stevia) and dairy/gluten free, with the exception of a batch of licorice caramels I made 'regular' because Phil loves them so.

Now to some pictures of People!
One of the games we played among ourselves and our extended family elsewhere was to find unusual/unintended uses for gifts and post pictures of those. Phil has a great flair for that, and for making faces!

This hilariously over-felted hat will be perfect if Phil ever goes to Israel with me to meet my family!
This was a joke-hat, but the dangly thing is like a piece of bait for him...
I got him long underwear and he decided to ditch the yarmulka and go for an Arafat look! That face just cracks me up every time I see it!
Our neighbors...
...with the innovative wrapping-paper hat... gave everyone these beautiful star-lanterns that you put a lightbulb inside to light up the night. We decided that those would make great hats too.

So first off: Miss Vaa-Vaa-Voom, Phil's gorgeous daughter!
...and our lovely hostess, Miss O...
My turn!
Happy Holidays to you all--much love, peace and joy.

11 comments:

  1. wow, ela! what a post! so many great things (and great people pics and faces too!)

    the nut/seed bars per the email you sent me..they look good! i make a no bake granola bar that i wont link drop on you here but it's in my recipe tab. i called it vegan PB choc chip protein bar. it's no bake and reminds me of yours from your pan pics. it has maple syrup and most times i skip the protein powder but anyway great job on your bars

    and all the other goodies..eveyrthing looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow small town Alaskan! I just found your blog through Sweetly Raw and couldn't be more pleased. I am also a waterless raw food enthusiast. I loved looking at your chocolate creations as i am currently in Mexico, far away from my raw cacao. I will be stopping by again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You weren't kidding about chocolate and adventure! It's my first time reading but brought much cheer to my day; great post!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful time! And all the truffles look amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Averie! Yes, I remember those bars of yours. I think my husband and his daughter both would enjoy something like that.

    kt-welcome! I'm excited indeed to discover (or be discovered by) another AK raw enthusiast.

    Katherine-welcome here, and I'm so glad that this brought you cheer. It came from a cheery place ;)

    Tina- I hope yours was as lovely also.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the hats. haha.

    So, how did you make coconut whiskey?? I am very interested in this one. I can't even imagine...

    The chocolates you made look incredible. And so pretty. My treats never turn out pretty- ever. ha. How did/does the xylitol sit with your body? I have tried using these types of sweeteners before (or just eaten them in different things) and they have always made me super bloated and with horrible cramping... just wondering if this one was alright for you. I'd love to try it- does it have sugar alcohols in it? I think those guys are the culprits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coconut whisky: I used a half cup of xylitol syrup to about a pint and a half of whisky (just black velvet blended Canadian whisky, nothing fancy) and added a teaspoon of coconut extract. Very simple, but effective!

    Xylitol is a sugar alcohol but like erythritol, it is one that occurs naturally in many commonly-eaten foods. That said, I know that some people find it's hard on the tummy, so I always use it in small quantities in a recipe and add stevia to make up the difference if needed. I've never noticed that it hurts me, but I think the small quantities help. Also, I'm usually making raw foods, so I'm not baking it (except I do for family sometimes) and I suspect that baking it might change its structure and have an effect. I'm just starting to experiment with erythritol, because I've heard that that's the one with the least likelihood of causing bloating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks great...blueberry and chocolate - wow!! YUMMMY

    Xylitol and erthritol are still sugars we have not played around yet. Not sure how our bodies will handle it but we hope to try soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great feast!
    would love to try some.

    So chocolates making is in the genes... ha
    your DNA, I meean.
    Lovely pictxs.
    LOL
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO interested in those white choc-blueberry truffles...clearly *I* need to own Sweet Gratitude, too! The pina colada looks amazing as well; in fact, everything does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The white choc-blueberry was based on their white choc-lavender recipe: ganache based on cashews and cacao butter, and I used a little blueberry flavor extract and some dried blueberries. But I'm really glad I got the book: if you can at least borrow it from the library, it'll likely spin some ideas for you (I like that Matthew Kenney provides volume measurements, though, as I don't own a food scale and all Sweet Gratitude's irish moss recipes, and many others too, rely on per weight measurements).
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!