So, since rule number 1 in nutritional research is: For any assertion out there about the benefits or detriments of any individual food or macronutrient, there will be an equally vehement claim to the contrary (kind of like Newton's third law), I wanted to start by stating baldly what my research and personal experience has shown me so far. I'll be talking mostly about macronutrients.
Finding #1: All Proteins are not created equal. That's the one piece of information about macronutrients that everyone knows, and is responsible for that pesky 'where do you get your protein from?' question that plagues vegetarians. Proteins, with the extra Nitrogen and Sulphur molecules, are formed of a dizzying number of amino acids, not all of which we can synthesize ourselves, and therefore are obviously different.
Finding #2: Protein in whole food is almost always found together with either fat or carbohydrate. Protein isolates and concentrates take work to produce, and it's not always work in a lab or factory. Plant proteins from the greens, grains and legumes come with carbohydrate and from the seeds/nuts and some fruits, they come with fat. Animal proteins come with a lot of fat (eggs, meat) or both fat and carbohydrate (organ meats, milk/cheese) and if they don't have a lot of fat with them, it's because they've been skimmed or skinned, and are therefore not whole foods but 'isolates' or 'concentrates.'
I'm not hereby saying that there's anything wrong with isolates/concentrates: just pointing out that that can of tuna is not a counterargument to this statement that protein is not found all alone. Tuna is actually a fish (despite the illusion of the can) and contains plenty of fat.
Therefore,
Finding #3: Most tweaking of macronutrient ratios pivots on carbohydrate versus fat, with protein in the fulcrum. And I have to say, I have experimented with a high-protein (i.e. high-isolates/concentrates), low-carb, low-fat macronutrient balance, as well as high-fat and high-carb, and felt the worst, experienced the most physical problems and the least muscle response on it than on anything else. And that's aside from the fact that I hated eating meat/dairy. You need protein to build muscle, but on high-protein and low-everything else, my muscles (unimpressive to begin with) dissolved.
Finding #4: All fats are not created equal. I used to think that fat was fat and that was that, and the root of all evil to boot. Nowadays, I understand that the much-and-erroneously-maligned saturated fat is a whole different player in our bodies than are monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats. I understand that the differently structured fat molecules fit differently in our bodies and have much different susceptibilities to rancidity and other damage. Different fat molecules are also more or less likely to be stored. And of course there's the scary trans fats that the body simply doesn't recognize and that wreak havoc.
Finding #5: All carbohydrates are not created equal. Well, at first glance, this seems almost as obvious as the variety among proteins. Middle school biology taught us about monosaccharides, disaccharides and polysaccharides, right? They're worked upon by different enzymes in different places. Sugar and starch, right? And not even all sugars are equal among themselves, nor all starches either. (I.e., some are better than others. But for a while, I swallowed the orthodoxy of the Low-carb movement, perhaps mostly influenced by my insufficiently critical reading of Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories
Finding #6: Attempting to exclude completely either carbohydrate or fat will not yield good long-term results. I've done both. I used to be an ardent lipophobe. I swallowed everything that the 80-10-10/Natural Hygiene diet folks say about fat being the root of all evil. It would be quite comical sometimes, even as a 'believer,' to hear someone troubleshooting their diet with one of the 'gurus' of this movement, and the guru triumphantly condemning whatever infinitesimal gram of fat the person had eaten in the past month for whatever the problem was. I ate mostly fruit, some greens and occasional 'potluck' nuts/seeds/avo for years. I could never gain any muscle, ended up with pretty terrible candida, was extremely thin but also very accident prone and neurotic.
Then, more recently, I went to the other extreme. Fruit-only had clearly not sustained me or allowed me to thrive, and now I had candida into the bargain, and started reading all the research about insulin and carbohydrates, and so any kind of carb, even veggies, which I've always loved, became strictly limited and worried-over. At first I lost a lot of weight: too much, eventually, because my absorption and digestion got so bad and there were a few months where I hardly ate and didn't digest what I did eat. Then, not surprisingly, my metabolism got even slower. Over the past several months I've gradually been working more vegetables back in, and the more carbohydrate (not sugar, but including a little fruit) I eat, the more energy I seem to have, the more stable my mood, the better my digestion.
Finding #7: If you read a lot exclusively about how good/bad something is for you, you're likely to feel that way when you eat it. Bodies are so suggestible.
One last point: The only 'food group' that I've never made a staple, bizarre and perverse as it may sound, given the history of humanity, is STARCH! I've always avoided it, because of my misapprehension that all starches were equal. I supposed that since I can't digest gluten grains, I can't digest anything else either. Even when I was high-carb, it was fruit that I was eating. As a raw-foodist (but still anorexic), I was actually scared away from carrots by a self-proclaimed Natural Hygiene guru who told me that eating carrots (=starch) would make me gain weight but that I could eat all the sugar I wanted and stay skinny!
So, lately I've been loving yams and parsnips and really 'digging' the effects of them on my system. I'll talk about that more soon. And here's my reminder to myself--and to anyone else making such experiments--that even if I'm eating more starch, I need not to cut out fat completely: I already know that that doesn't take things in a good direction.
What are your most useful findings about food, nutritional research, and our minds' impacts on our bodies' experiences? Please share!
much love
#7 is pure gold. So many people are guilty of forgetting (or refusing to believe) that...myself included.
ReplyDeleteIt was through my research on coconut oil at 105 that I finally came to thoroughly understand the molecular difference between saturated and unsaturated fats. I still don't want any of my sat fats coming from butter (blech), but I feel more comfortable being liberal with the coconut oil I use. I'm also making somewhat of an effort to avoid veg oils...at some point I want to phase canola out of my kitchen entirely (though, being frugal, I must use up what I have!).
#7 is an awkward one, but it is so true! It's also true that there are some things that have an effect on your body no matter what you think about it (like gluten, for me, on the negative side and lately, despite my skepticism, starch on the positive side (which I'll talk about more soon). But despite that, I've definitely 'thought myself into- and out of-' being able to eat certain things.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you're learning to love the wonderful coconut oil! It took me a while too, but I can't deny the good effects as well as yumminess. I thought I was the only person who loathed butter: I can't stand anything about it!
I think it's a great idea to avoid high-PUFA veg oils, especially if you're heating them. Non-virgin coconut oil is super-cheap and is heat stable. Still tastes good too.
love
Ela
so much to think about! i love seeing your progression and ideas from all your experiences.
ReplyDeletei had a doctor lecture me about omega 3s today. i should write me own spin off finding #8 that I distrust doctors statements about health yet must rely on them to an extent.
Why would you avoid Omega 3? I'm totally open to the idea that they might make *you* ill :) I personally can't do without them, I feel very depressed when I do. What bad effects to they have on your body? Amazing how we're all different!
ReplyDeletewow im really gonna have to insert rule number one into my regular conversations...every time i tell my husband something about nutrition, he doesnt believe me, and in fact finds some article contradicting what i have already researched!
ReplyDeletemy absolute most useful finding on food and nutrition was learning the true effects of refined sugar in dr weston price's book "nutrition and physical degeneration!!" before i read that, i thought it was just a part of life to have crooked teeth and get braces as a teenager! it was great to learn that quite contrary to that, people all around the world that remained on whole foods diets with no refined foods, had perfectly straight teeth to go along with their perfectly built bodies.
bitt: I like your #8! It is so hard sometimes to find your own space when doctors insist something: you appreciate and respect their knowledge, and yet sometimes it doesn't 'fit.'
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Joanna,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your positive experience about omega-3's. I haven't especially noticed ill-effects from omega-3's myself, but have been experimenting with reducing all PUFAs in my diet because of some research I've been reading, which I'll post a blog about very soon.
In terms of my own body's experience, I think I feel good with omega-3's but less good with any quantity of omega-6, so I imagine that eventually I might find myself saving high omega-6 nuts for treats and have flax/chia/hemp more regularly. Coconut has always been the one that feels best to me though.
More on this soon!
love
Ela
Rawesome goddess--yes, Weston Price's findings really are staggering, aren't they? As I've mentioned on here several times before, I think refined sugar and trans fats are the only two things I feel pretty sure are detrimental in any body. It is really empowering to have it demonstrated why refined sugar is such a problem so graphically and clearly.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Very interesting post, Ela. I also believe that one can find research to support any claim, which is while I enjoy nutrition research, I tend to listen the most to my body. Your finding #7 rings true with me as well. Biology of Belief by Bruce H. Lipton talks a lot about how our powerful thoughts literally change the biology of our bodies. I could go on and on....
ReplyDeletekt--thanks for mentioning Biology of Belief: that is totally on my reading list and I'm hoping to get to read it soon.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela