I was getting all ready to make a bunch of tables and charts showing which experts on the Great Health Debate said what, who agreed with whom on what, what the overall numbers might suggest. But I have a billion other things to do today, my computer's memory is maxed out and internet connection falteringly slow, and I paid attention to Sean Croxton and Mike Adams in the wrap-up talk on Sunday night, when they said that the major problem they both faced was too much computer time and not enough outside time! I also concluded that detailed person-by-person final analysis and number-crunching on frequency of recommendations would be missing the point of the Debate itself, the dizzying array of different presentations and worldviews as to what works for health.
Instead, then, I offer something more in keeping with the time available to me today and also more in keeping with the spirit of the Debate, I think. It can be summed up in the title to this post, and here are a few more thoughts.
Look Inward
No two experts offered completely identical world views; all experts believed that what they do works. Since I'm celebrating this blog's anniversary, it seems an appropriate moment to link to a post I wrote over a year ago now, on Pyrrhonian Skepticism and its relationship to diet. This school of philosophy observed that there are conflicting phenomena and opinions about everything and advocated suspending judgment to reach the goal of absence of perturbation. This array of different interpretations of different claimed phenomena seems a perfect example of that.
Plants
It seems obvious that eating more plants is beneficial, that eating a diet based on plants is healthful and ecologically sound. Even the proponents of meat-eating or of low-carbohydrate diets recommend eating plenty of vegetables.
Keep Pleasures Simple (not Refined)
This is one of the more important ones to me. You'll remember that I was uneasy about Dr Young's and Dr Goldhamer's rebukes against pleasure, and that I then observed that for me, 'overstimulating' foods are not pleasurable. I've given that some more thought, and compared notes with my husband, who can eat a whole plate of brownies at a sitting and find it very pleasurable, and realized that I do understand what they are saying, agree with them, in fact, and that it comes down to a matter of definition of 'pleasure.' Very concentrated foods, especially very sweet/salty/oily foods (or foods laced with 'excitotoxins'), produce a physiologically overstimulating response that can lead to compulsion around that food--and for sound evolutionary reasons. These are the foods that are most refined, farthest removed from 'ancestral foods,' least familiar (evolutionarily speaking) to our organisms, and most associated with obesity, heart disease and other 'diseases of civilization.' They tend to increase appetite and weight-set-point, especially if the additional stress of guilt and compulsion surround them.
This isn't to say that one shouldn't enjoy one's food. Food can be--should be--pleasurable, but keep the pleasures simple. Note to self: this includes my current yen for almond and peppermint extract and other intense flavors...
Get Outside!
It's essential to health...
and there is so much magnificence...
I seem to be overcoming my own lack of inclination to get outside these past few days and am looking forward to going for a good hike soon if it doesn't snow too hard. I do think that feeling guilty/obligated to get outside, like I was feeling, is counterproductive, though, as once again, pleasure and delight is part of why it's good for us!
A Few Questions
Who gets to be an 'expert?' Sally Fallon made the important distinction between primary researchers (in the lab) and secondary researchers (reading the data, comparing, number-crunching)--and doctors in clinical practice fall somewhere in between, or partake in both. Are the conclusions of someone who has focused in narrowly and knows certain aspects of a particular field completely intimately more valuable than those of someone who may not be as minutely, specifically trained but who is looking at a much larger picture? To complicate the question further, the 'primary' researchers are often funded or otherwise have an agenda, and we know that you can prove anything with research by setting up the study correctly (which is why it was striking that Colin Campbell mentioned in his 'bonus' talk that he hadn't expected to find correlations between animal protein and childhood cancer in the Philippines). Secondary researchers can also have axes to grind, but generally they may stand a better chance of impartiality. People who have had 'road-to-Damascus'-type conversion experiences in their health transformation may often be great experts in their own bodies, and may be inspiring simply for that reason, that they really have discovered what works for them. Often, however, they may wind up less open to accepting that what works for them may not work for everyone.
What research is relevant? In the very first talk, Drs Mercola and Cousens agreed that they keep an eye on research only for 'trends' and do not set enormous store by individual studies--for the abovementioned reasons in part--preferring to rely on their own findings in clinical practice. This was a very striking statement, especially on the very first night, and lent some skepticism to some of the glib citing of research statistics on later nights. For those of us in pursuit of knowledge, it seemed like a good reminder to pay attention to individual studies but to withhold absolute judgment based on them. Any further advice on how to answer this question, of what research deserves attention, is something for which I'd be most grateful.
I will share some odd thoughts over the next while about how my personal thinking has been affected by this Debate, but this is my final 'objective' post about what was offered. So I'll come back and add on if I think of more that needs to be included, and would be grateful for any comments on what else needs to be covered.
much love.
I am absolutely skeptical of primary research due to the source of funding issue. The first time I was hit with this was many years ago in college. I was taking a course in nutrition. The Asian professor often struggled with his English, so on the first day of class he decided to show a film. I'm aging myself by saying this was in the days before the "food pyramid". It was still the old four food groups. So we're sitting there watching this film, and at the very end we see a person gnawing on a candy bar, followed by an image of a mountain of white sugar in a warehouse and the voice over advising us to eat some sugar each day for the extra supply of energy. I think I nearly fell out of my desk. What? This was probably about 1980, and I had been to health food stores by then and knew this was garbage. Sure it will give you energy. Right before you crash and fall flat on your face. Then, I see the credits roll. At the end there was a line informing that the film had been funded by some entity like the National Sugar Foundation. So there you go. This was at a large state university, that supposedly did cutting edge research. Right. I also participated for awhile in a graduate program in Aquatic Botany at a different university in a different state. My major professor turned out to be highly unethical (I quit the program and quit her). Basically, on more than one occasion she wrote abstracts for papers she planned to present, implying she had done the research when the first experiment had not yet been run. Her assumption was, she knew how it would turn out. There may be ethical professors out there, but the system is polluted with money, and many of the researchers turn out to be more concerned with their egos, and fame and gain, then with the integrity of their work and their results. I don't mean to be overly negative, but that has been my experience. Basically, I'm with you that the one thing we know for certain, simply because it has been repeated over and over in disparate studies, is to eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. That's the foundation, and for the rest, it seems we need to learn to read the book of our own bodies. The other thing I'm certain of is, I don't want the chemical alphabet soup in prepared, processed foods in my body anymore. No trans-fats and no F,D & C food colors etc.
ReplyDeletePS. Your photos of your surroundings are magnificent. I'm developing a very unexpected yen to move to Alaska. I hope you are outside enjoying a hike right now, and not sitting in front of a computer as I am. :)
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate you sharing your insights. It is so interesting how each person filters the information shared by the "experts". I work as a researcher so I'm always very critical of the findings presented as "truth" in the health realm. Like you, we need to figure out what works best for us as individuals. General statistics or trends often don't apply to individual experiences.
ReplyDeletexo
How ironic Fallon was talking about research when her work is the least scientific. I guess if you don't have science to back things up, you critique science itself! I found her to be a weak and insulting speaker. Well, you'll see my thoughts soon enough, putting it into words tonight.
ReplyDeleteThe topic of pleasure is something i think about a lot. The biggest problem in the modern world is we wrap up so much of our pleasure in eating. Eating has now become entertainment. I think there is inherent danger in that in a world filled with such highly stimulatory foods. The human desire for entertainment seems to be the an escalating process. It seems the more we get the more we want. Addiction is an escalating process. There's a fine line between enjoying food and using it as entertainment.
ReplyDeletei agree with all of you. mindy i really like your quote: "...eat plenty of fresh vegetables. that's the foundation and for the rest, it seems we need to learn to read the book of our own bodies."
ReplyDeleteMindy, I love your summary and comment: thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the 'dark side' of research too. That much have been harrowing at the time. I hope that there are ethical researchers out there, but aside from the fact that we are all so different (not just physically but circumstantially and psychologically too), there is such a nexus of factors driving the studies. 'Keep it simple and green and grounded' sounds good.
ReplyDeleteAlphabet soup and trans fats out too, yes please!
I did get outside a bit yesterday, thanks: I'm so glad you enjoy the pics of the world up here: I never know if it does it justice, but it is a gorgeous place.
love
Ela
Lisa--yes, the more research we do, the less the findings seem to apply to individuals! It is endlessly fascinating, and at the moment I'm still drawn to read the research but find myself wondering whether the saner conclusion would be abstinence, as you have practiced.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Bitt--I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Matt--right, it is a fine line between enjoyment and entertainment, and there are more and more things available that encourage the hyper-exciting entertainment. I think your inquiries into stress are really relevant here too, in two ways: first, the guilt associated with the entertaining foods for so many people adds a whole layer of stress to the physiological damage those foods do, and second, that physiological damage creates stress of its own.
ReplyDeleteI'd be really interested in your thoughts on research and 'experts' too, although I think keeping pleasures simple and keeping attention to research simple are pretty good watchwords.
cheers,
Ela
rawesome goddess--thanks, and I agree, that's a great quote.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
A thing to mention about keeping food simple but also enjoying it, having it be pleasurable, with reducing your sugar intake and sticking to REAL food, and lots of plants, your taste will change. What was once sugar filled will can become overwhelming for the tongue. And likewise, what was super green tastes amazing. Green smoothies, baby. ;)
ReplyDeleteI love the debates... food related, that is.
Lori, thanks so much for adding that: it's SO TRUE! My tastes are so different than the average sugar-addict's that it can be hard for me to fix for them sometimes. In the blog I just posted, I mentioned my chocolates being too dark and not sweet enough for most, and the ganache that I made with regular dark chocolate chips being way way way too sweet for me. My green smoothies pictured on here over the past months (especially last summer with all the wild greens outside) were delicious to me but probably made Phil gag just to look at!
ReplyDelete