Monday, April 25, 2011

Secret Ingredient Cheesecake (Can You Guess?) and NaPoWriMo Update

I'll talk more about this new crustless cheesecake in a moment.
 First, a quick update on NaPoWriMo and other Poetry-Related events this April. Last week, I attended two poetry gatherings: one at the home of a wonderful poet in town who is just completing her MFA in the same program that I'm going into; the other, at the library. Writing poetry requires such intense, inward focus that convivial opportunities to interact with others and revel in words and what takes shape between and behind the words seem even more special for the contrast.

In addition to writing a poem a day for NaPoWriMo, I am pushing to complete a manuscript--a small book of poems all containing the theme of strangeness and sojourn. The Writers' Conference here in town (coming up in June) offers the opportunity for participants to submit manuscripts and have them critiqued by one of the conference faculty, and I decided that that would be a great opportunity. Deadline for submission? The end of April. Getting a manuscript into some kind of shape, and writing a new poem a day (and doing my work and remodeling the kitchen, etc) is a game of multi-directional pulling--but that's how you get a smooth surface in the end. In an endeavor not to have that smooth surface be my own self spread ineffectually thin, and in recognition of the fact that several of the poems in the manuscript were barely begun, I've elided the 'poem a day' and 'manuscript' projects somewhat and am grateful.

We had a lovely Easter-themed gathering up at Phil's daughter's mom and stepdad's house yesterday (I need a better term for these wonderful friends of ours. Let's just call them Leslie and Royce)...

Our friends David and Olga were also recently back from 'snowbirding:' since our truck is still off its wheels, they gave us a ride. Here's Phil with his daughter and Olga:
 Amy's mom, Leslie, has a new camera.
Otherwise, as always, she was the 'hostess with the mostest'--it didn't feel like being put to work at all when we found the table beautifully spread with eggs to dye, bunny-shaped rice krispie treats to decorate...and cupcakes to frost!
 I made up for not eating any cupcakes by hogging my share of the frosting fun: I think I did five in contrasting designs and colors.

We had great food, precious conviviality, and some wonderful giggles (here, we're looking at possible wedding dresses for Phil's daughter: fertile ground for giggles).
 I've been working on a poem about fixing food for people. I was 'stuck' on it Saturday night, and found it ironic that I spent much of Sunday morning fixing food rather than writing about it. Gave me more grist and perspective, I guess.

I was pleased with this three-layer veggie bake I'd dreamed up.
 The base is pureed yams shot with julienned beets; the middle layer is chard with (dried) chanterelles and lots of garlic...
 ...and the top layer is a white bean-based sauce with lots of nooch, onion powder, a hint of tahini.
 I baked the yam/beet base for 30 minutes before baking the whole thing, and I think the texture would have been more interesting and varied had I baked the base longer and gotten it more crusty.

But I was most excited about the crustless cheesecake (pictured above). It's a white chocolate-blueberry cheesecake (vegan, mostly raw) and I was using a whole different ingredient base for it. I couldn't wait to see whether people liked it, and who would guess what it was made from.

Actually, it was somewhat overshadowed by all those cupcakes...
 ...and although it was very well liked and got rave reviews, no one asked me "So Ela, what on earth is this made from?"
 Can you guess what I based it on? Here's a hint. And no, it's not yam!
I don't have the recipe perfect yet, but will post it when I do. This much I will say: I thought it tasted fantastic. I could taste the 'secret ingredient,' but only in the same way that I can taste cashews in cashew-based cheesecakes, quite unobtrusively. And this is so much lighter than a nut-based cheesecake but the flavor and texture remain rich. OK--I'll stop talking, or I'll give the game away.

Isn't this the oddest plant? Leslie and Royce adopted it recently, and insist that it's pure Dr Seuss.
Can you guess what that cheesecake is based on? I'd love to hear your guesses...
And do you know a better name for that plant than 'Dr Seuss plant?' I don't think it's a yucca...

16 comments:

  1. That white bean-nooch sauce looks so cheesy (I mean that in a GOOD way, for once!) and tasty.

    Is it coconut pulp in the cheesecake? Can't wait to see the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber--thanks for guessing. Quite a bit of turmeric in that white bean sauce, gives it that happy cheesy color.

    Thanks for guessing, but that's not what it is. I'm excited to share and look forward to more guesses.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, it's white still so I will guess jicama?

    No idea about that plant but it does look like it's straight out of a Dr. Suess book.

    I see so much love there in your gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ela. It's hard to be sure without a closer in shot of the stalk of the plant and the leaves, but it appears to be a Dracaena marginata that has never been cut back and allowed to grow and grow. (I used to work in indoor plant maintenance - aka "plant lady"). If it's what I think it is, the plant could be cut back close to the base and three or four new stalks would start. The two tops that I see could be rooted in the pot to make still more babies. It's hard to describe in words. Or, of course, it could just be left as is :). http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Agavaceae/Dracaena_marginata.html the bottom photo shows a specimen that has been cut back multiple times. Also, the mass of vegetation at the base is probably tops that have been cut off and then stuck in the pot to root and grow. Your cheesecake looks marvelous. I can't imagine what the secret ingredient is, but I look forward to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great weekend you had! The veggie bake and the cheesecake look spectacular. My secret ingredient guess is parsnips???

    How exciting to be working on a manuscript. I wish you luck in finishing it by before May.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bitt--thanks, yes, we have a great family group up here.

    Jicama is a great guess and it's one of my favorites, but no, it's not jicama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Mindy--that's awesome information! I love learning that about you too: was 'plant lady' as fun a job as it sounds like? I'll share that page with Leslie and Royce: it sure does look like their plant, and your suggestion about pruning it back might be good too.

    I'll share more about the cheesecake tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kt--you got it! Yay--you guessed it right! I'm looking forward to sharing more about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. That veggie bake looks wonderful. I love the use of nooch and creative (yet delicious) ingredients.

    And how fun- all the family-time photos. Everyone looks so happy! I love seeing Phil's smile. It brightens the photo. :) Fun times looking at wedding dresses!

    Ok, my guess (since I'm NOT peaking at the above comment until I guess) is...
    Beets?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lor--thanks so much. Yes, Phil has an awesome smile...

    Beets is going to be my next one, but it wasn't beets this time!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ela,

    I used to be work in interiorscapes (as a 'plant lady'), too! Ooh, the stories... Anyway, that certainly looks like a 'Dragon Tree of Madagascar' to me as well. I love those! (I think your friends may have snagged that one from the plant sale before I had a chance to, LOL!)

    I am enjoying all your experiments with various foods and preparation methods. I get so many ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made cheesecake with parsnips! Wow, how incredibly creative. I'm very impressed and can't wait to hear the whole story.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah Cathy--another 'plant lady;'--I'd love to hear some stories. I think Leslie and Royce basically took pity on that plant but it's good to know that there are others who appreciate it.

    Thank you: I love to give ideas--and to receive them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa--I'm looking forward to sharing the rest of the story and would love to know what you think about the whole concept when I've laid it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a tease! The cheesecake does look rich and delicious. Also, the three layer bake is so creative and yummy sounding too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much, Tina! The cheesecake recipe is up now.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!