Saturday, May 14, 2011

One More Lesson: What's For Breakfast?--Troubleshooting and Kale Chip Recipe


Traveling can be challenging because it disrupts routine and raises questions that I don't even have to consider, ordinarily. But this disruption also offers the opportunity to re-evaluate components of that routine and see whether they work as well as I assume they do.

This is the story of why we've been home for three days and I haven't yet made a smoothie (shocker). It's not just because we've been very busy.

Until we went on our trip, my breakfast was always a green smoothie.
It was a smoothie with a lot of ingredients and in my current yeast cleanse, the base was: 
thin (homemade) coconut milk, 
coconut kefir whey, 
a carrot (sometimes two), 
frozen peas (or lately I was using frozen beans because their omega3:6 ratio is better: minutiae, I know)
three or four heaping teaspoons of my superfood mix of chlorella, wheatgrass juice powder, ginger, cinnamon, maca, tocotrienols
a little pea protein powder (seem to have been using less and less lately)
a little piece of avocado
a little blob of coconut oil
drop of stevia
a handful of greens, either fresh, or dried nettles or peppermint

and then it would sometimes have irish moss, or a few flax seeds, and sometimes some extra spice like cardamom and cloves, or cooled peppermint tea, leaves and all; sometimes a drop or two of medicine flower flavor extracts.

Originally, that amount made my breakfast, but before we went on the trip I was diluting the same amount into two smoothies and having it for breakfast and lunch. I was doing so because (despite the fact that it's not very calorie dense as smoothies go) I was feeling too full from it, uncomfortably so! And even cutting it in half, I still always felt a little sick after drinking it, to the point that I was often going right through to lunchtime with no in-between snack.

I assumed that my body was to blame--yeast die-off, etc. 

But on our trip, with a little jar of superfood mix and some unsweetened store bought coconut milk and no blender, I never felt sick after breakfast! I often ate vegetables for breakfast, or leftover salad, sometimes with a little glass of coconut milk with a little bit of the superfood powder. And I often had carrots, frozen (thawed) peas or beans for breakfast too. So it wasn't the powder per se, or the veggies. 

What gives? It seems like it was something about the smoothie itself that was making me feel icky. Interesting that I persevered, had exactly the same thing day in and day out, and it never occurred to me that if I ate something different for breakfast, I might not feel sick!

Since we got home, I've eaten leftover salad and carrots, or thawed(ish) frozen peas and beans, and carrots--weird breakfast but it works.

At this stage, I'm really looking forward to being over the yeast cleanse (three more weeks!) and going back to more fruit, in my smoothies and otherwise. I'm over the fruit-phobia with which I was afflicted when I started this blog over a year ago, with which I had been afflicted for over a year before that. I've reconnected with the recognition that I felt great for many years eating a lot of fruit. Discovering cooked root veggies and how much better I feel with them has been a great stepping stone in that direction.

More on this soon. Any ideas on why that particular smoothie combination would be so stomach-churning?

It's delightful to see all the green growth here. Down in OR, of course, it was lush and green and many steps ahead of us. There was a big stand of kale in the garden at the farm, so I made kale chips (there are dehydrators at the farm).
I'd never made these before, and of course it was my typical Ela 'throw it all together' kind of recipe, but here it is approximately:
1/4 cup coconut butter
2-3 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons mustard
juice of half a lemon
dusting of stevia
chili powder
chipotle powder
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1/4 cup nooch
black pepper

I added warm water to all that until it was a thick sauce, then added torn kale into the bowl until all the sauce was coating kale. Dehydrated for about 6 hours at 115--I was impressed with how quick it was.

Everyone loved them except Phil, who thought they were just ok--which often happens when I make something new. But he loathes kale, doesn't like nooch or tahini, so what do I expect? He thinks it's uncanny that all my favorite tastes happen to be the 'few' things he doesn't like. Disappointing for me at times, given our huge dietary differences to begin with, but we love each other anyway and respect each others' gustatory differences! And I've written several poems about that very situation, so it can't be all bad.

What's your favorite breakfast?

17 comments:

  1. I do know what it feels like to stick with a routine that isn't working anymore...To me, that smoothie had so many different things in it that it's hard to say which was bothering you. So many powders (super foods/spices), and then you have the fats from the coco and the avo in there, and carrots and peas are both quite starchy. It sounds very heavy to me. I learned to make green smoothies from Victoria Boutenko's Green for Life, and she advised against using root veggies in green smoothies due to the possibility of stomach upset, but then I think she was assuming people would be putting fruit in too, and the fruit/root veggie combo would be a problem. I haven't been avoiding fruit, though I do tend to balance sweet and savory foods throughout the day. There is no way I could stomach or enjoy the 80-10-10 way of eating. I was drawn to the raw lifestyle because I knew instinctively I needed more leafy greens. The one thing I can say about my green smoothies is that I really have to start with a lot of green leafies: green powders combined with green starchy veg wouldn't do it for me. In fact, even though I really like carrots, and peas and green beans, the idea of consuming them together in a smoothie mixed with a bunch of powders makes me feel ill. The ones I enjoy the most have the fewest ingredients. Examples : mango cilantro with one whole bunch of cilantro and 2 mangoes and some water, another with one small cantelope and 2 baby bok choy and that's it. I try to stick to one type of green and at most 2 types of fruits. They taste cleaner that way. I will occasionally add a bit of avocado to up the creaminess and make them a bit more filling. If I add any powder at all, it might be just a bit of maca OR greener grasses OR Spirulina OR lucuma. It's a very small amount relative to the other ingredients, and only one type of powder. To me, when I think of your smoothie, even if every single item on its own doesn't bother you, the combo of all those different items synergistically could be a totally differnt story. I assume green leafies are hard to come by in Alaska in the winter. I think I would grow something like sunflower greens in flats and use those for my green smoothies, so I'd be having fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to use peas rather than kale or another green. Is this because of goitrogens? Do you think the whey was making you sick? I know you wondered that before.

    The kale chips look and sound great! I like spicey ones like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm huge on green smoothies for breakfast. I find that the simpler they are, the better they digest. I especially like a large quantity of greens and herbs with citrus and pineapple. I also like berries. I prefer to eat veggies in their whole state rather than adding them to my smoothies, although I also like to juice them.

    Did you stop adding stevia to your smoothies on your trip? Sometimes I have problems with stevia if I consume it too often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy--wow, thanks for such a detailed comment. I think I forgot to mention that I usually put a handful of fresh greens in there too. (I'll go back in there and edit.) But that proves your point: waaay too complex, so many ingredients. That's kind of where I was beginning to land in terms of thinking, as none of the specific components seem to bother me alone. The superfood powders were a very small amount, but still...

    Your smoothies sound yummy. I sure am looking forward to getting back into fruit, and meanwhile I may try much simpler smoothies with some cooked yam in there rather than all the raw starchy veggies.

    Many thanks again!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, bitt--I did usually put a handful of greens in there too, either fresh greens or dried nettles and peppermint. I did wonder about the kefir whey but I tried some with my frozen peas one morning since I got back and was fine. I'm starting to think that it was just ingredient overload, too many things all together.

    I still have to get a dehydrator (was hoping to order it while we were gone so that it would arrive when we got home): I'm excited to make more kale chips and...nettle chips!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Shannonmarie--I'm really looking forward to getting back into fruit. I think you're right that simpler is better, especially first thing in the morning. That's what I'm coming down to in my understanding of this.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops, one more thing: good question about the stevia, but I did use it on the trip too, and I haven't noticed any trouble with it. Good thing to watch out for, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your kale chips look wonderful and i would gladly take phil's portion that he didnt want :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Averie: maybe I'll have to do like you did and make chocolate kale chips and see if he'll enjoy those. And if not, the more for me!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you are welcome,Ela. I'm glad that some of what I shared was helpful. I was a little concerned after going back and reading my comment again. Naturally, I wanted to be helpful, but after reading again I felt I came across a little too much like a university lecturer. I know you know what's best for you. I made another delicious smoothie today. About a half a head of romaine lettuce, 1 cup of water, 2 large Cameo apples and the juice of one lemon...oh, and I added about 1/3 of an avocado, since apples are pretty lumpy in smoothie (at least in mine, I don't have a high speed blender - I peeled the apples for the same reason). Very water-rich and super refreshing. I'm guessing you have better access to apples than to tropical fruits? Enjoy the coming week Ela, and I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much again, Mindy--I appreciated you taking the time to lay it all out, and I think you were right on.

    Your smoothie sounds yummy. You can get a pretty good one in a non-Vitamix but I am so happy that I finally got a Vita (it was _years and years_ before I did, though, and I was happy then too).

    It's actually fairly even between apples/oranges/bananas in terms of availability here, but since this is Alaska, I'm also willing to rely on frozen fruits a little more than I would elsewhere: there is some pretty good frozen fruit available here. That's also why I probably won't push to be 100% raw unless and until I'm living somewhere more temperate.

    Have a great week too!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite breakfast is definitely a giant green smoothie, and luckily for me, I feel energized and satiated (but not full) after drinking one. I crave them like crazy when I am away from my Vitamix. I am impressed that you enjoy salad for breakfast.

    Thanks for the kale chip recipe! I can't wait to see the magic that happens in your new dehydrator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow! I'm so glad I found your blog (by reading your comments on Matt Stone's wall!)
    That recipe for Kale chips looks awesome!
    And I like "frozen beans because their omega3:6 ratio is better: minutiae" because I DO care about things like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. kt--I can't wait either, but it seems like I'm going to have to wait for the dehydrator a little longer :(

    Satiated but not full sounds perfect to me. I'm still figuring it out with my breakfasts here...
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome, Lisa--thanks so much for stopping by! I really appreciate your comments on Matt's blog too.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  16. Strange, I don't know what's up with your smoothie. Maybe blending it just makes it SO easily digestible that it's too much of an all-at-once assault on your body?

    I love that you put coconut butter in the kale chips! I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Amber--yes, that 'So easily digestible' idea had occurred to me too: I'm actually experimenting with having the exact same things for bfast 'whole' one morning and then blended the next, to see if that might be it.

    I planted a bunch of kale seeds yesterday!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!