Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Happy Birthday Phil, and "Grover Pie"

Yesterday was Phil's birthday! He's sitting in front of a big chocolate cake...
 ...but I also made a white chocolate-blueberry cashew "cheesecake."
 We decided that it shouldn't be called a 'cheesecake'--it's misleading and doesn't do it justice. At the party, on the fly, we were trying to come up with an alternative name. The first suggestions all had my name in them, which I discouraged, because it's not just 'my' creation...But for this crowd it is, and they were persistent! Based on my nickname "Elamonster," they were coming up with "monster" something. And it finally settled as "Grover Pie." Because it's a "blue monster" pie! I didn't grow up with Sesame Street, so this was totally out of left field for me, but for now, it stuck! And it was delicious, as was the entire celebratory dinner.

Phil's had a funny 'jester hat' for a while, most fittingly, but when we were in Anchorage on Saturday, we went to our boutique--Value Village--and he found another jester hat, complete with bells on, that fit me, and insisted I had to have it. So here we both are.
 There was lots of laughter at his party.
I think Amy was the one responsible for the "Grover Pie" appellation...
 One of his gifts was wrapped in Scarlett Johansson. I don't know whether to be disturbed by this reaction...
I gave him new binoculars for his birthday--seeing, and seeing far, is so important to him, and with the eye surgery last winter he's been through some challenges with that this past year. I also got some bird-feeders, so that we can entice even more amazing bird-life into our yard for him to look at with the binoculars!
Here's my recap of his birthday last year!

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great party! I love the Grover Pie moniker (I watched plenty of Sesame Street as a kid) and the photo of Phil and Scarlett, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time. Love the jester hats and the Grover Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amber!
    Glad you approve of the name for the raw cheesecake, albeit it arrived by an odd route...
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mindy!

    I walk around like a cat, jingling to scare the birds!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  5. love birthdays!! happy belated birthday Phil. Looks like a great party and yummy desserts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Phil! I love the sound of anything pie...I am usually apt to call raw creations pies rather than cheeze or even cheesecakes. Looks like a lively party! So glad everyone loves your creations there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Phil! I was so tickled by his reaction to the Scarlett Johansson paper.

    I grew up on Sesame Street, and Grover was my favorite character. I think it's a great name for your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lori/Michelle--it was a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, bitt--it doesn't always feel like I have the same palate as everyone up here (was so nice in Israel everyone loved my 'regular' cooking--it's more like what they do there) but hard to go wrong with the raw desserts!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  10. shannonmarie--that's so cool that you have the context for the Sesame Street reference--I'm glad that it's a good name!

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!