Sunday, December 18, 2011

Maxine Kumin on Anne Sexton; In Praise of Pills; This Week's Herbal

With my holiday goodies-making well underway and now that my camera is found, I'm feeling an absolute logjam of food-related posts building up.

So I'd better slide in something non-food-related while it's on my mind.

At our poetry group on Tuesday, we listened to an audio recording of the poet Maxine Kumin, who continues to be lucid, potent, trenchant and poetic, now well into her eighties. She talked about herself, inevitably, but the focus of the talk was her friendship with Anne Sexton, which lasted from the late '50's until Sexton's suicide in 1974. As might be expected, it was some very inspiring and also very poignant listening. Meeting as we were to support one another in our poetry practice, we listened with delight to Kumin's description of the intense intimacy with which they workshopped one another's poems. The fact that they would workshop over the phone and thus receive aural impressions of the poem long before they saw it laid out on the page (which, Kumin said, was wonderful ear-training) was intriguing to all of us as a way to add another dimension to our appreciation and critical faculties.

I felt a little wistful for a time and place in which the big poetry world was so much smaller than it is now. I'm not saying they had it easy at all, especially with the gender bias they still encountered. Kumin received a rejection note from an editor saying he'd have loved to publish her poem, but he had published a woman writer last month and had to wait a few months before he could do so again!!! But the fact that it was a smaller world creates the impression (illusion?) that entry to it might have been easier then.

Kumin's freshness was most inspiring: she said a couple times that she almost felt like she had to apologize for the fact that she was still writing and publishing new poetry, "dinosaur" as she was.

Her words about Sexton's suicide were both difficult and important for me to hear, since I have some experience with both sides of that coin. I've had a best friend commit suicide, and have narrowly missed it myself. I was glad for Kumin that she didn't experience the intense guilt that most friends of suicides experience: she explained that she'd rescued Sexton from several previous attempts, and had been warned by her in no uncertain terms that next time she wouldn't see it coming. But, as she said, here almost forty years later she's still writing it out. It's something you never get over.

She lamented the state of medication at those times and, when speaking of Sylvia Plath (who killed herself in 1963, aged only 31, and with whom they had interacted a little at the Boston Poetry Society), lamented her short life, her genius and how little time she'd had. "Think of what she'd have been able to do if she'd just had the right pills," she said.

That got me. It's probably obvious from my earlier mentions about pills that I have some resistance toward them, and I spent years avoiding them. It's also true that lately I've been having some compliance issues around my own pill program, and the results have not been pretty. It's easy to feel paranoid about 'what they're doing to you,' and to want to be 'yourself,' unmediated, unmedicated. And then it's annoying when your treatment team chorus at you that your behavior is a symptom of your disorder... But finally, these last few days, with another increase in dosage and a little consistency, I'm feeling evened out and actually more like 'myself,' even if it takes this intervention. I'm still not sleeping much, though.

Kumin's "pills" comment came from her position of deep friendship with Sexton. I sometimes feel I have to protect people I'm close to from myself, or even avoid getting too close, to spare them that potential heartache. But Kumin's words actually might have persuaded me that just taking the pills might be the best way to 'protect' the people I care about. I just need to remember this for the times when I don't care anymore if I'm nice to be around or not (or if I'm around at all)...

Speaking of sleep, my hops tincture/syrup seems to be working like a charm for several people around here--a bunch of people having trouble sleeping got their gift early! As I mentioned, I can't use it because it's not compatible with my brain chemistry.

I realized that the herbal project I had been planning was a non-adrenally-impacting "pick-me-up," when what I really needed was to calm the heck down.

So, very very simply, I made an infusion of chamomile and lavender flowers.
They're so beautiful--I find them calming even to look at.

That's about a tablespoon and a half of each, in a quart of hot (not boiling) water. I added it to my regular morning brew of Rhodiola powder and Gynostemma leaves. (The Rhodiola seems to help with anxiety, and the Gynostemma is a great all-round tonic herb, and delicious.)
 But you'll need a strainer for this--the Rhodiola and Gynostemma behave themselves and settle to the bottom (roots and leaves) but the Lavender and Chamomile float up top (flowers).

I hope you're having a lovely weekend, enjoying the quiet of midwinter, preparing holiday goodies if that's your thing.

7 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I've read Anne Sexton, and even though Sylvia was always my favorite female poet, I read a lot of Anne back in the day too...I need to go dig through the back of my bookshelves and page through some of her poetry again, as well as look into that of Maxine Kumin.

    However, even though they were contemporaries for a time, Sylvia killed herself in 1963, 11 years before Anne did...?

    I'm not sure how I feel about The Pill Thing either, as I've ridden that roller coaster too many times (and it's the reason I have the weight and metabolic problems I do today - don't ever, ever let someone you love touch Zyprexa or Depakote!), but at the moment I'm once again seeing how I fare without any. The longest I've gone in the past is a year or two, I believe, so we'll see what happens this time. I'm seeing a new doctor who wants to balance my hormones, so he just told me this past week to cease taking ALL pills, including Wellbutrin (which I've been on for a little over 3 years now), birth control (which I've been on for well over a decade nonstop!), even vitamins...it's weirdly uncomfortable. Only time will tell if it works, I suppose. Wish me luck - and good luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE loved VERY DEARLY even if you are distant!

    Love knows no distance! don't delude yourself.

    LOads of love
    RH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Amber, you are right! That's so odd, I read a book recently that I'm sure stated Plath's obit as 1974, but '63 makes loads more sense. I'll modify the post to explain. Yes, Anne and Sylvia only knew one another very slightly, Kumin talked about that a bit--they rubbed shoulders at the Boston Poetry Society...

    I'm glad you're seeing a new doctor: please keep me posted on that. Fascinating that he starts by taking you off of everything: I think that's really promising. And honestly, I sincerely believe that coming off bc pills is a huge favor to yourself for the rest of your life. You may go through a period of adjustment, but it'll be so good for your body in the long run.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed feelings about pills, they can be literally life-savers for many people. I think long term it's a tricky situation. They can certain mess with sleep architecture as my sleep doctor noted. Certain SSRIs feel like speed to me, some even make me more depressed. But I am glad they are out there, many people I know have benefited.

    I love your herbs and gifting them out to people you know You have a very generous spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of pills, but if that's what your body needs, then take them. I'd miss you terribly if anything ever happened to you. Know that your readers care about you very much.

    Maybe you should consider moving to a warmer climate with longer days. I find that daylight does wonders for me. I'm so much more energized in the summer. You could move near me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, bitt--that is sweet of you. I agree that there's definitely mixed reviews about the whole pill thing: sometimes they can do more harm than good, and I think there are now several studies that show that SSRI's can actually increase depression. When I was studying abdominal massage, there was a lot of talk about the separate "brain in the gut," and it was explained to us that the SSRI's take all the serotonin from the gut to the brain, but the gut needs it too...

    I'm definitely grateful that for now, I'm taking elementals rather than pharmaceuticals. At my last appt my ND said that if things really don't get better, I should think about going on the pharmaceutical, but that it has unpleasant side-effects, so that's a pretty good motivation to do well!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannonmarie, thank you so much for such a sweet comment! I think that's really interesting that you pick up on the weather connection. I lived for years in CA and HI, where the seasons are much less contrastive than they are here, and I used to say then that I go from pole to pole enough within myself that I didn't need hugely fluctuating weather. From that perspective, AK is definitely a challenge.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!