Monday, March 26, 2012

Bargaining for My Autonomy, End of the Chocolate Streak ("50 First Weeks")

A new week, a new opportunity to set intentions for the best. Still snow everywhere, but more thaw than freeze, and some brilliant sunshine. Made it down to the beach for a sunset hike, and there's very little snow down there...but worrying amounts of erosion.  
This week brings a very serious and challenging resolution imperative. I mentioned an ultimatum from my Naturopath in my last post. What's at stake is nothing short of my own autonomy and ability to be out in the world. This is a bald and alarming threat to face. When a person is overextended and under a lot of stress, it's not that abnormal for her to pull several all-nighters consecutively, use a lot of caffeine, and fail to eat adequately or take prescribed medication, is it?


What my ND told me was that my doing so, given my health conditions, is creating a potentially dangerous and life-threatening situation, and I had to admit that he wasn't sensationalizing or exaggerating: it was the simple truth. So, I have a contract with him agreeing to a prescribed bedtime, agreeing to abstain from caffeine, agreeing to take medications. (There's probably something about food on there too, but I don't listen to anyone else when it comes to food.) 
And I still have to get all my work done without staying up all night!


I feel torn between recognition that this agreement is going to save my life and health, and irritation that I have to agree to go to bed like a little kid and not just do as I please! But since I recognize that what's at stake is my autonomy, my ability to live my own life in my own home, and the alternative is so distasteful, I have given up a little of my autonomy in order to preserve the major part of it. And I realize that really, as momentous as all this might sound, it's just like any other part of life. Not one of us is truly autonomous. I write this blog because you will read it. Even my most independent actions, like solo hikes in the wilderness, are having or will have an effect on someone at some time. Most people work at a job that makes demands on their freedom, so that they're free to do what they want with the rest of their lives.
This week I intend to examine the ways in which I am dependent and interdependent with everything and everyone else in my life.


This post is also an explanation of why there probably won't be many more "chocolate" recipes on here for a while. Speaking of which, if you enjoyed the brownie bite recipe I just posted, please check back, because I edited to add an ingredient I'd forgotten from the list! I've written so many times before about not being able to have chocolate, and have posted all kinds of chocolate alternative recipes. But on my recent caffeine kick, I've eased up on the ban, hence the brownie bites recipe; a typical recent lunch has looked like this: 
An apple, a carrot, and a smoothie made out of fresh local snow, spinach, spirulina, stevia, and cacao powder, with cacao nibs on top. My Naturopath says a tiny piece of chocolate occasionally is ok, but throwing cacao powder into smoothies made of nothing else but ice and greens every day is not.


So, time to make some changes here--I love my freedom, so I'll trade a little freedom to keep it, right?
How do you trade your autonomy in order to have your freedom?

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Of course, real snow! I had a blog post recently featuring snow as a recipe ingredient too!

      Delete
  2. Ela,
    I'm so happy you have made this agreement with your Naturopath. I hope that you will feel the benefits of making such a commitment soon. I think about autonomy and freedom often and in my life I have some serious trades I have to make in order to find bits of freedom here and there. Debt, obligations with family and my job keep many hours of my life from being my own, and yet I find they push me into situations I wouldn't seek out on my own, often time adding a richness to my life that I hadn't expected. The debt though, that one has to go!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa--

      --That's such a good point that sometimes commitments that seem burdensome also take us into enriching situations. I wish you much luck with clearing the debt! I'm trying not to create too much of that myself with my MFA.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  3. That chocolate is sneaky stuff, first you have a little here and there and before you know it, it's snuck itself into every meal. Glad you got the warning to lay off, you've done it before, so you know you can again.

    It can be hard to think about losing your crutches that enable you to get "all the work done" but also know that continuing at that rate might mean not being able to work at all if you burn out.

    I can imagine sleep issues would arise perhaps more often in Alaska with the light changes being so drastic? I have used melatonin with a lot of success, have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bitt--you're right about the wily ways of chocolate! Unfortunately, I wasn't just doing chocolate--I built myself a nasty little caffeine pill habit these last couple months, which is a terrible thing to do for at least three reasons in my body.

      Great point about the burnout danger too.
      I haven't played much with melatonin, mainly because I don't want to sleep "too well"! That might sound really counterintuitive, but if I wake up later than I'm comfortable with it ruins my day no matter how little sleep I got beforehand.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  4. I think your ND is wise on the sleep front. So many of my mental/physical troubles came from periods of poor or no sleep. All of my wellness tends to collapse in on itself when good sleep is yanked from the equation.

    I also adore that waking moment when I open my eyes and have somehow magically solved a writing problem in my fiction. That never happens when I sleep crappily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie--sleep is definitely one of the cornerstones.

      I had the infuriating converse of your described fiction epiphany in sleep a couple weeks ago, day before a packet was due--lying awake, not-sleeping, came up with what seemed like a great additional point for my essay, beautifully worded too, committed it to memory...and then I did fall asleep for a bit, and it was gone when I woke up!
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  5. Anastasia@healthymamainfo.comMarch 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM

    Wow, that's quite cool idea to add some snow in a smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so handy--but it looks like we won't have snow around for all that much longer...

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about all the changes you need to make. I don't like being told what to do either, but if I can convince myself that it's really my idea, then I'm okay with it. Maybe think of these changes as YOUR way of healing yourself. You are not going to bed earlier because someone made you do it, but due to the fact you know it will make you healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shannonmarie--that is a great idea, to take ownership of the changes!
      I so appreciate your thoughtfulness and wisdom.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  7. I love this post and the themes you evoke -- autonomy vs. freedom. What a wonderful way of putting it!

    That said, I think that when self-destructive impulses are at work, or violence to the self (through unhealthy behaviors) is happening, autonomy can actually become a betrayal of the self, rather than an exercise of selfhood. I know this is all semantics, but for me, I see my self-destructive impulses not as my way of asserting who I am, and my right to be independent, but rather as a deep form of self-betrayal. It's interesting to think about, but in the meantime, BRAVO for putting your freedom and your body first, and taming the rebellious spirit for now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gena, thank you so much.

      And yes, it is semantics, but you raise a really good point. I've thought about this myself, in recognition that a lot of my "disordered behaviors" are bids for tight control, but that the longer or more extremely I do them, the less control I actually have. I hadn't quite made the step to thinking of it as self-betrayal, but that's a good point to ponder as well.

      Thanks so much again!
      love
      Ela

      Delete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!