The last couple days have been backsliding, stressful, intense. Per my last post, I don't yet have full clarity on how much I should share here. So, per my strategy at other times like this, I'll focus on something else until I do have space and clarity. Coming up, I'll have a post on protein powders, as I've been promising for ages. I'll also talk about how to increase calories. All my kuntzim are specially directed toward reducing calories, so it might be interesting to apply some smarts to the reverse process. Just as a mirror never gives an exact image, so increasing is never the exact reverse of decreasing; so it's not a no-brainer by any means.
Garden Planning
Around this time every year, when the snow has gone away and green shoots forth thicker every day, we look around our place, take stock, start to think about our garden. Every year, Phil ponders the cost-benefit and wonders whether it's even worthwhile to do a garden, and every year we decide to do at least something. We have serious weed problems. For all the hundreds of thousands of hemp nettles we pulled last year, they are sprouting up everywhere in even greater profusion; ditto the cow parsnip (donor of blistering rashes). The paleocene horsetails are stubbornly ubiquitous--cut them out in one place and they'll spread thirty feet underground over the course of a year to pop up there. The snowshoe hare population still hasn't crashed, and they will gladly eat whatever we put out there. Later in the summer, the slugs clean up. Last year, redback voles ate all our peas from the ground up.
When there was still snow on the ground, Phil planted some carrots and spinach under an old skylight right on the edge of the bluff where it's warmest.
Under the skylight, it's a lush growth. There are some spinach and carrot greens visible in there, but mostly weeds are thriving in the steam room!
Here's a clump of horsetails, with hemp nettles coming up around them.
I took this picture of the view from one of our big garden plots last year up to the bunker as a snapshot of a rather unique time when you can walk clear up to the bunker unimpeded. Within a month, the nettles, fireweed, cow parsnip and other growth will be waist-high.
Here's some dock (with my boot beside it) coming up small but true.
While we were walking around, mama moose went on by, not very impressed that we were so close to her route, but unruffled.
It struck me that this two-acre piece we were walking, lamenting the depredations of bunnies, slugs, noxious weeds, was just a tiny puzzle-piece of the moose's beat, and is only a separate place with its peculiar weed problems in our own minds.
This is yet another push-and-pull point. After all our efforts hand-weeding for several years, Phil has decided to Round-up the worst weeds. I've vetoed that idea the last several years in a row; this time, he hasn't offered me the veto. Phil and I have such different philosophies around so many aspects of interacting with the earth. Phil also was raised on a farm and is much more actively engaged with the dirt on a daily basis than I am. Especially in the winter, I get stuck indoors with work projects and feel disconnected. Sometimes I fear my stipulations against herbicides and other interferences are just a kind of ignorance, and that I don't earn the right to a strong opinion because I don't put in as much work on the place. However, I've read recent literature suggesting that Round-up does not degrade/turn into water as quickly as it was originally claimed to and as Phil believes it does. At least I'm not raising bees this year.
I'm looking forward to raising herbs, but we have some pretty good ones that volunteer. This is wormwood (artemisia)--not the kind used for making absinthe, but a good cleanser, and so pretty! Nettles are in my future today as well.

My friend Lynn gave me an avocado pie recipe to rawify--I'm going to go see if I can do that, and will share the results. Another friend also gave grist to my mill for considering incorporating avocados into my diet again--I've been avoiding them for several months or more for a whole raft of reasons that mostly boil down to calorie avoidance and expenditure avoidance.
At least I'm thinking about doing something different!
I'll have that to share soon. Would love your favorite avocado suggestions too!
Happy Cinco de Mayo and have a great weekend!








Weeds are a bummer but at least things are growing. Is there any middle ground between Round up and nothing? Surely there is something that at least isn't supporting Monsanto. I know even organic farmers have things to kill weeds that aren't that toxic.
ReplyDeleteHope you can try an avocado or pie with avocado. Sounds good. I know they aren't cheap at least without a Trader Joe's around probably not but maybe you can find a deal.
The hat looks great!
Thanks, bitt! Cost-Co has bags of avos--I brought one back from Anchorage--and sometimes they're on sale. I made the pie yesterday and had a smidgen--will post the recipe tomorrow.
DeletePhil believes that roundup is relatively non-toxic, but I don't think he's read the more recent studies. He does more work outside and he was raised spraying the heck out of things, so at the moment things are so touchy I just need to love him and accept it.
love
Ela
Love the rainbow hat. ;)
ReplyDeleteAs far as I know, Roundup doesn't degrade into biologically safe components. Don't know about that water theory.
Thanks, Meredith!
DeleteI think the literature used to claim that roundup degraded into water within 24 hours, and that's what Phil believes. I don't want to make an issue out of not making an issue out of it...
love
Ela
As a (Colorado) state certified pesticide applicator, I can vouch that RoundUp doesn't go away easily. The conditions here in Homer make it very difficult to apply properly (without risk of rain and with the temperatures warm enough, for instance). If he must use RoundUp (or a knockoff), make sure he realizes that less is more!! The molecules in the chemical are large, and suspended in a oil-type immersion. Mixing it too strong makes it less effective, because the plants can't absorb the oil if it is too thick, essentially. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully! And with our almost constant breezes, be very, very careful of drift.
ReplyDeleteFor what it is worth, one of the reasons I became a certified applicator is to learn about all the chemicals that are out there, what they do, how they work, etc, so that I would know more about what NOT to use. Also so that I may help educate others.
Avocado is wonderful...both my 3 year old and my 8 month old love it! They can just eat it with a spoon. I like it as an accent, or mixed into a smoothie!
Cathy, thank you so much for your input. Yes, especially as we live right on the edge of the bluff, wind drift is a major issue. I think he's pretty aware of all that but is also able to be casual about it. I'm really trying not to let this be another issue of contention at the moment--sometimes I have to let go of my principles for the sake of our relationship.
DeleteI really admire that you became a certified applicator in order to know what's what and to educate others. How do you handle the pushki/horsetails/hemp nettles? Do you just hand-pull or mow what you can and accept that they're always going to be there to some extent.
Avocado is one of the very best kid foods! I don't think I've ever met a baby who didn't love them, although I remember thinking I didn't like them as a kid until my aunt in Israel basically forced me to eat some and I discovered it was delicious!
love
Ela
The times that I have met Phil, he seems very conscientious, so I'm sure he is aware of at least most of what I said. (Sometimes I just can't help getting on my soapbox...apologies!) I admit, when I first started to upgrade my pesticide certification, it was because I knew it would get me a $1/hour raise! I've always been interested in how things work in relation to plants, though, so I quickly realized how much I could learn. In order to learn to best grow plants, it often helps to know best how to kill them! Or how to selectively kill some and not others. Fascinating. All that said, I don't know how I handle pushki/horsetails/hemp nettles! My training is in another state, where we did not have any of those. And, up until this summer, we have lived in an apartment in town where we did not have to do anything with the grounds. I am excited to have moved over the winter, as now we have a yard! Now I can expand my small container garden to include a real, in-the-ground garden! I'm sure I'll get a lot of experience with various weed "pests". :-)
DeleteI don't think I even knew what an avocado was until I was in college! We didn't have them growing up. It is hard to imagine being without them now.
Cathy
Cathy, actually I really appreciate your soapbox!
DeletePhil is conscientious but also not necessarily up to date on the literature. He says he wants to read the latest scientific studies on round-up--he views my testimony as anecdotal and thus unreliable. Do you have something I could point him to, so that he can actually get up to date? If it comes from someone other than me, he might be more inclined to trust it.
We're in moot territory now anyway--I got home from my writers' group last night and he was out with the sprayer.
That's a fascinating perspective, that in order to know how to raise plants, you should also know how to kill them! Truth there, for sure.
How wonderful that you now have a yard! That must be so good for your kids as well. And for you--my goodness, that must have been hard, with your plantly inclinations, to have no ground to work here. But yes, it'll be an interesting journey with the plant pests, slugs, moose, bunnies...
Wow, that's amazing you eluded avocados until college! What a blessing it must have been to incorporate them then!
love
Ela
Perfect plans for your garden! Yesterday me, my toddler, and 17 months old babies planted a bunch of organic veggies in our garden. I'm one proud mama!
ReplyDelete