![]() |
| A big medjool date can be three times as many calories as a small deglet |
I'm not willing to increase by throwing in a bunch of empty calories. I'm even inclined to count staples of mine like nettles, spirulina, chlorella, as worth double the amount of calories they actually measure, because they're so very nutrient dense.
Here are some other examples of how not to do it, and some alternatives that might be better
I'm a sucker for goodies that are marked down, like this "22 days" bar.I'd never buy it at the full price, but a buck and a half? Sure thing. True, they then tend to sit in my pantry uneaten for months. And look at the nutrition information (below)! Those four fifths of the bar (yes, I did eat one fifth--bad budgeting of calories) pictured above each represents more than 46 calories!
A fifth of the bar, 46 calories. Look how small the pieces are! The whole bar is not very big, and most people would eat the whole thing, I guess. The first ingredient in there is almond butter; the second is agave nectar. I never eat agave nectar, so in some ways I almost can't believe I bought it. Mark-down-induced blindness, I guess.
Having almond butter and agave in addition to the traditional almonds and dates seems to me to be totally unnecessary fat-and-sugar-loading. Yes, those four remaining fifths of the bar, reasonable portions in my mind, have sat around in the pantry for weeks.
But when these mint-choc Jocalats were marked down to less than a dollar a few days ago, I still bought a couple. (What was I thinking? Oh yes, chocolate-mint is a siren song.)
Nutrition info is a bit better than for the 22 Days bar--a quarter of this bar (which is slightly smaller) would be close to 50 calories. This one is more of an honest-to-goodness almond-date bar without the additional almond butter/agave. But I can't imagine opening it anytime soon.
Instead, I've dug into the freezer and been eating these lovely carob-raisin balls I made almost a year ago. I make myself good stuff--why don't I eat it, then? I guess I gave up snacking. A hard habit to resume at the moment.
I have to guesstimate the calories in these, because I didn't calculate them when I made them all those months ago. (I should also reconstruct what I did and post it here.) But these are basically just raisins and carob powder, with a little shredded coconut on the outside--plenty sugary from the raisins, for sure, but much less fatty with the carob.
Another bad idea purchased because it was marked down:
Oh my goodness. 90 calories in a half cup??? And most of that is sugar. I would never have more than an eighth-cup at a time. Also, even more caffeine when I'm supposed to be getting off of it.
That said, liquid calories are one very smart way to increase calories, as they're often easier to digest and easier to consume. I've been buying unsweetened nut milk, 25-45 calories per cup depending on the variety, and having 1/3 to 1/2-cup servings in smoothies, making up the difference with water. Now, there's no way I'm going to buy the "sweetened" regular nut milks--per the principle at the beginning, why would I want to add in empty calories? On the other hand, if I had a whole cup of unsweetened nut milk rather than watering it down, that wouldn't kill me, and might be a very painless way to increase!
Or, why don't I make my own, like I used to, and then I'd have the pulp for making goodies?
The truth is, I've always had trouble with homemade nut milk, because I've never known how to calculate the nutrition value. How much of the nut nutrition is in the milk and how much is in the pulp? I can't count the pulp as zero calorie, and it's not fair to count the milk as representing all the calories and nutrition either! If anyone has the answer for that, I'd be enormously grateful.
The other truth is, I've been too busy generally, and although I'm sure I could work nut-milk-making into my schedule, I haven't done so, and if I shop sales (as I do), the unsweetened, calorie-declared, store-bought milks are often cheaper than making my own!
As the schedule starts to get less overloaded (I turn in final grades tonight), if I can find out how to calculate the nutrition in nut milks, I might add that back in as a way to increase calories that is also a self-nurturing use of time. There's more and more talk of making me go away for treatment; meanwhile, I'm convinced I'll turn this train around as the schedule calms down.
Keep your fingers crossed for me, and hit me with all your advice!








Hi Ela,
ReplyDeleteI feel totally ignorant here, but why are you keeping such close tabs on calories? Do you have food intolerances? I should probably be following along more closely. Sorry. Can't wait to see you this August.
Meagan
Thanks, Meagan--also eager to see you and anxious for August's advent!
DeleteI have multiple food intolerances--you might remember me freaking out a few times at the Residency and one night getting really sick--but hopefully you don't remember, I try not to make a big deal of it. I also try not to make a big deal of the other (disorder) aspect of this, which is very shameful, but which I have talked about more on the blog recently because it's been more salient and problematic. I was carrying extra (hypothyroid) weight at the residency, so the whole story never had to be told, but gone rather too far the other way right now...
With grades in and the pressure off, I should get things under control just any day, though.
love
Ela
I can understand that you want to get enough calories, but it seems like maybe you are focusing too much on the calories of things and that can become another not healthy obsession. Making your own might help as you mentioned, because then you won't see a label on front of everything.
ReplyDeleteWon't be around much online for awhile, take good care and have a good weekend.
Thanks, bitt--I eat mostly produce anyway, so very few labels on things, but I do tend to weigh and measure. At this point, it's helpful to make sure I know where I'm at, even safety issue.
DeleteTake care of yourself and have a good weekend too!
love
Ela
ps: I miss dates! Have one for me!
ReplyDeleteI thought of you and felt bad for even mentioning dates, let alone picturing them!
DeletePlease forgive me. I know what it's like--I didn't eat dates for over two years when I was doing the whole candida thing...
I've been trying to avoid using dates, and I find that dried apricots and raisins have a similar level of satisfaction added to various things I like to sweeten.
DeleteRaederle,
DeleteI love dried apricots too, and raisins. But I was raised with dates and think they're a wonderful food, especially varieties other than medjool. What's your problem with them?
love
Ela
Hi Ela,
DeleteThe only issue with dates is that they are mostly sugar and little of anything else. That much concentrates sugar is kinda like a "waste" of calories when you're not super active. I do a lot of sitting around, so I try to maximize how much nutrition I'm getting from my calories.
~ Raederle
I'm so sorry you are enduring this. Protect yourself. Remember, you nutrition scientist, the brain is only two percent of your body mass, but it uses twenty percent of your oxygen and FORTY Percent of the glucose. Eat every fattening thing your brain wants and then, concurrently, keep up the intake of your usual nutrient rich personal foods.
DeleteAll my best wishes.
Dave Gordon
Dave,
DeleteThank you so much for checking in. I really appreciate your care and concern, and especially your wonderful connection with Phil.
love
Ela
I had the same reaction..why the obsession with calories? I'm overweight and regardless of what I've eaten..i dont' lose weight....there are reasons...stress and exhausted adrenals are the top two...i just know most folks who eat raw lose weight or gain weight...as needed...bodies seem to balance out....I'd say add good fats, like avocado, nuts and seeds. Try chia pudding as a snack...
ReplyDeleteIf you need to gain weight, personally, calorie counting is way to cumbersome..just add something..and see how you feel...and if things are good, and you think you can add more..do so...ask y0o0ur body.....and listen to what it tells you..not your head...lol.
Much love, Barbara
Thanks, Barbara--yes, I remember you talking about your adrenal issues all the way back on the 80% Raw forums. I hope you're taking good care of that. I had a spell of adrenal exhaustion a couple years ago too.
DeleteYour advice is very sensible, but unfortunately it doesn't really apply in this case, except that I think adding good fats will be a good idea. I won't eat nuts except coconut and very occasional mac or cashew, or seeds except for hemp/flax/chia, because of the omega 6, but I'm working coconut and avo back in.
love
Ela
I do think you're worrying far too much about calories. (I know, I know, this is the pot calling the kettle black!) But you KNOW deep down that you will not gain weight back even if you go up by a couple hundred. I hope you really do work more on that - instead of just talking about it (and I don't mean that in a mean way! I'm sorry if that came off poorly).
ReplyDeleteHomemade nut milks are a toughie. I had to really approximate the nutr. info for the almond milk in my book (thus the disclaimer underneath the recipe about variation in each batch). The easiest way is just to not strain it. So for almond milk, you could make a watery batch with 1 cup (5 oz.) almonds (827 calories) and 6 cups water. That'd make it about 137 cals per cup, or 34 calories per 1/4 cup. You'd just have to shake it up before you use it, of course.
I make nut milk without straining by using nut-butter first. Nut-butter is made through smashing the nuts, not cutting them. It releases the oils to smash nuts to butter, hence a much richer and more delicious flavor.
DeleteThanks, Amber. I really want to know both how much the pulp is and how much the mylk is. I guess I'll just keep looking for answers. Unstrained milk is totally unappealing to me.
DeleteThanks for your concern about the calorie concerns. I do NOT know that I won't gain if I go up by a couple hundred--I'm sure you can understand that! But I am working on it.
love
Ela
I'm not sure why you'd want to go back to snacking. If you've broken that good habit, then excellent!
ReplyDeleteAs it turns out (Dr. Ritamarie explains the science of it very well) snacking all the time and keeping your insulin up prevents fat loss, muscle gain, and cell reparation! And it also hinders sleeping.
In the second day of my meal plan Experience Elegance which has three meals a day without snacking and totals to 2460 calories, there is a Shake for breakfast including figs, sunflower seeds, three bananas and carob, and for lunch there are ginger cookies including oat groats, raisins, chia seeds and fresh ginger, and dinner is a tall carrot-juice drink including parsnips and kale (as well as carrots).
If you can get 2460 calories in a shake, a small pie of cookies that don't include dates or agave, and a juice that is mostly carrots, then I'm not sure why seeking more calories should be much trouble...?
I find it pretty easy to consume 2200 calories a day even when I'm not eating any nuts, dates or seeds in the entire day. Then again, I do get a lot of calories eating soaked oat groats, bananas, apples, oranges, and dried apricots.
One measuring cup full of dried apricots is over 300 calories, and if you blend that with soaked oat groats you've got a delicious result loaded with calories, and in comparison to nuts and dates, it is also loaded with nutrition.
I wouldn't worry too much about calories though. Unless you're light-headed, lethargic, etc, then you're fine. I once tried an all vegetable diet and averaged 800 calories a day and I honestly felt better during those five days (and more energetic!) than ever before.
Raederle,
DeleteI am so confused about snacking versus not snacking by now--some people argue quite persuasively for the benefits of it, and some quite persuasively for the reverse.
At this point, I got used to eating 300cals/day and need to eat more than that, but can't eat very much at once, so eating more than 3x/day makes sense.
I can't eat bananas right now, they make me sick. I won't eat sunflower seeds. I'm allergic to gluten and it's impossible to get gf oat groats here (and I'm not sure that even gf oats work well for me). I don't have a juicer.
I agree with you that eating such nutrient dense foods as we eat diminishes concerns about calories. However, at the moment everyone's telling me I need to eat more.
"Experience Elegance" is a lovely name.
love
Ela
Three hundred calories a day! Wow, I missed that memo! That's incredibly low! I mean, how do have enough energy to do anything!?
DeleteThank you, by the way, for the compliment. :D
And yes, if you're in the habit of eating only 300 calories in a day, it might make sense for you to eat more often than three times a day.
The snacking versus not snacking depends a bit on personal condition. If someone is on a diet that is 90% or more raw fruit, then it digests so fast that they can eat many more times in a day and still have "empty stomach time" which is the real reason not to snack. If someone has hormonal issues (which most of us do, since it is considered normal for a woman to be bloated, get PMS, cramps, etc every month) then making sure they get a lot of time with their stomach empty between meals goes a long way towards repairing that problem because the stomach secretes certain hormones when empty.
For someone who is already a diabetic, going too long between meals can cause hormonal issues for them and they'd have to very slowly move in that direction and get off of medication slowly as well.
Hope that clears it up just a tad.
But yeah, in your case, if eating six times a day can bring you up to 600 calories, that'd be good to see. I've done 800 a day, but whew... 300! I can't imagine it.
~ Raederle
Hi Raederle,
DeleteI didn't have great energy when I was eating only 300 (although I did surrogate with caffeine a bit--a terrible habit I never had, lately picked up, and am now dropping). But eating 600, I seem to do fine (although that's not what my bloodwork says).
I sincerely believe that my body needs far less fuel than almost anyone else's body--super slow/efficient metabolism after years of anorexia.
I like the idea of "empty stomach time." It seems to me that proponents of three meals/day emphasize the importance of empty stomach time, whereas proponents of "little and often" emphasize the importance of not eating too much in one go. I have gone through years where eating in between meals automatically makes me feel sick, but I've also gone through years when if I didn't eat every 2-3 hours I'd practically pass out. So, having experienced both ways, I'm confused as to what's right for my body! I like the convenience of not having to eat so often. But that leaves me stuck with a low calorie diet, as I really can't eat a lot in one go without feeling terrible. Which is fine by me, as I only need less than a thousand cals a day.
love
Ela
We're so often on the same page. I have a few gaining posts coming soon myself.
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, the process is as hard and as simple is "you have to eat a lot more calories." For me, this meant bigger portions of more calorie dense foods. Because my stomach couldn't handle a ton of volume at first, I ate really calorie dense drinks and snacks as well as normal meals. Then I could spread it out over bigger portions and way more volume. I know that no one who is trying to gain wants to hear that the trick is simply more food, more calories, but in about 14 years of fighting it, that's what worked for me (and what seems to work for others).
Great topic.
Thanks, Gena!
DeleteI'll look forward to reading your thoughts on this topic. It's true--calorie dense is essential and so is caloric liquid. And yet I mostly want to eat carrots and nettles!
I think what's missing, both in my post and inside me, is the will and resolution to do it! I should probably write a post about that.
love
Ela