It may not be surprising that over the past few weeks of semi-participation in regular life, I've been thinking a lot about what is essential in life and what can come to seem essential but may not be.
For two months I have NOT:
- Driven a car--or ridden a bike.
- Taken a photograph. True fact! The camera was in storage while I was inpatient, and its battery fared better than the computer battery, but now I have it with me, and have seen many beautiful plants and interesting buildings and scenes worth recording, but I simply haven't wanted to use it.
- Talked on the phone, except to Phil, my parents, or healthcare professionals. We had long-distance calling while inpatient, but very little time to do it, and I was happy to write letters.
- Paid a bill.
- Used my Vitamix, or made or drank a smoothie (some more thoughts on this in a post soon). Or my dehydrator.
- Fixed food for other people
- Watched TV--but then I never watch TV
- Eaten spirulina or other green powders--and I survived!
- Seen a movie, except one or two documentaries we were shown as part of treatment
- Been obsessive about what is/is not organic and whether it's in the "dirty dozen" or not
- Weighed myself--ooh, except for one whoopsie time early on in this phase of the adventure
- Taken a beach hike
- Stayed up all night working (although there were nights at foie gras farm that I didn't sleep hardly at all).
- Weighed my food
- Sat in our cabin and looked out at the ocean
- Slept in our bed with Phil
- Planted herbs or vegetables
- Been to one of my writing groups
- Participated actively and assiduously and daily in the blogging community
- Bounced on my beloved rebounder. They don't want us to think about exercising, or to exercise much at all, but I like to imagine they would make an exception for this wonderful, relaxing, fun form of exercise that I miss so much.
Some of these things seem pretty sad absences; some of them may be husks, discarded skins or exoskeletons, to be left aside and grown out of; some may be growth opportunities, offering the realization
that life can continue without certain rigidly held lifelines. I can go without spirulina and chlorella; I can even go without many vegetables or much fruit, and I'm still here! I managed without clinging desperately to the internet, one more page, one more page making time pass and keeping me here. I'm still here. I even survived having to drink the nasty Ensure Plus, which lacks lactose and whey, but does have some dairy-derived protein. I'm still hacking it out, still feeling its effects, but I'm still here. Thank goodness I'm having coconut cream rather than Ensure here--when I resent having to drink it, I just remind myself of Ensure.
Another thread that comes across is the tendency to be busy busy busy. In this in-between life right now, I'm looking for ways to remind myself to pay attention, take a breath, slow down; to focus on what is really needful. "What is needful" is a phrase from the King James Bible version of the story of Mary and Martha, where Mary simply sits at Jesus' feet, while Martha fusses around getting everything ready. Jesus says Mary's choice is "what is needful."
Religion, Christianity in particular, was a big thing at foie gras farm, whereas at this treatment center it's practically taboo because of its potential for division. But scripture, not religion itself, is periodically very useful to me as a word-based reminder of what's important. Anything can be a talisman to call us back to the moment--more thoughts on this soon also.
Staying in the moment, my body is asking for a shower and soon, sleep, as we prepare to greet Monday morning and a new week.
So good to hear (read) your voice, Ela.
ReplyDeleteLove, Teresa
Thanks, Teresa! Less than a month till I'm back in town, looking forward to seeing you!
Deletelove
Ela
Could you use a visitor? Let me know. I'm close and would be happy to come by. It will be good to see you at residency. I enjoyed being in class with you, your comments always appreciated.
ReplyDeleteAlso appreciated this post. I've loved the story of Mary and Martha since I was a kid, particularly since reading wasn't encouraged, certainly wasn't considered as needful as chores. I'll still think about Mary's choice when that Christian guilt kicks in and I'm writing when the dishes haven't been washed.
Take care,
Karin
Karin! Great to read from you! I'm feeling like these last few days are pretty much maxed as I get ready to leave here, but I'm so looking forward to reconnecting at residency.
DeleteYes on the value of the Mary and Martha story--and I hope you write instead of washing dishes whenever the presence is there!
Hey Ela,
ReplyDeleteWe have had things put into perspective over the pond here. Lydia was in the A11 Elveden car crash and broke her back, had a ruptured spleen which had to be removed, damaged her pancreas and bowel and had the jejunum part of her bowel removed.
Eating has become a very slow thing to begin again and it is difficult getting anything healthy into her.
I don't feel life will ever look the same as it did before the accident, but she is still here and I was able to connect so strongly to my sense of self (that house, shaped like a lotus!) it has been an amazing (although physically exhausting) time of practice and faith.
Sounds like there is change happening everywhere. Stay with the big picture. Xxxxx
Rachel,
DeleteWow. My mum had mentioned something about that that she'd heard from Beryl Willis and you were in my thoughts. I've been thinking about you all day. So thankful that Lydia is still with you, so sad that you're all experiencing such trauma.
I hope we can talk more--I'll email you.
love
Ela
That is an interesting list! It is amazing what we can do without. Some sad absences sure, but, yes, a good opportunity to sort out what's essential, etc. A follow up list of what's kept you going might be interesting exercise. I have never figured out what is the "one thing needful" (literally, "of one thing there is need"). Maybe "presence"? In constrast to Martha's distractedness. I like the inversion of giving and receiving in the story. We're taught it's better to give than to receive, but in this instance, Mary, who chooses to sit and receive, chooses the better part. Interesting that the story is resonating with you … Elizabeth
ReplyDeleteElizabeth,
DeleteSo wonderful to see you here. Yes, I agree with you on the Mary and Martha and the privileging of receptivity.
Not much time online/emailing here, but I'm looking forward to connecting properly soon.
love
Ela
That's quite a list; I can certainly see how/why so many of things would cause mixed feelings. I hope you're doing better each week than the last. <3
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Amber! I'm still pretty distracted and offline and not emailing much, but I'd love to know how things have been going for you, and am looking forward to catching up.
Deletelove
Ela
I've so missed you Ela! But sounds like your time has been well used for healing. It is nice to take a time away from things even that feel so important, just to get some perspective. It's great to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to post.
ReplyDeletebitt, thanks for looking in. I missed you too, very much. Still not a lot of time to be online, etc, but I'm looking forward to catching up.
DeleteI hope all's going well for you.
love
Ela
Good to see you posting again, Ela. You sound good to me. I love this statement: "But scripture, not religion itself, is periodically very useful to me as a word-based reminder of what's important. Anything can be a talisman to call us back to the moment." Yes, indeed, it can be so easy to throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak - giving scriptures/holy books over to extremists and missing the beauty and wisdom and nuance that can be found there.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mindy! Second post since I got out, and I'm still figuring out what my schedule with this is to be, especially in light of the insights garnered through these months of being away. But that's all to be determined when I finally get home. And yes amen totally to what you said about not throwing the baby out with the bathwater regarding scripture in religion.
Deletelove
Ela
I try to imagine the space you are in, Ela. I do sense that you are moving haltingly yet inexorably toward a healthier and happier life. I smiled at your comments about Ensure. The funny thing is that I really like the stuff. After my husband died in 1995 I lost a lot of weight. A friend who worked at Providence Hospital told me about Ensure. Amazing stuff. Chocolate flavor, chilled out of the refrigerator - every swallow was exquisitely delicious. Ensure helped keep me going. Sounds stupid but it's true.
ReplyDeleteThanks for looking in, Anne Marie!
DeleteYes,things are definitely moving in a positive direction.
I like your Ensure story. There were definitely a few women at foie gras farm who actually enjoyed the Ensure also. I'm sure that made things somewhat better.
cheers,
Ela
That's quite a list. I wonder how I would do without all of those things. It is nice to know that you are able to see which ones really aren't as necessary as you thought. You seem to be seeing the bright side of things. Keep that positive attitude (but I agree it may be okay to ditch the Ensure for something better).
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Shannonmarie! Interesting--just the last couple days I'm finally feeling the Ensure is not affecting me anymore. I was feeling somewhat ill (as I guess I mentioned in the post) in a dairy-affected way all this time.
DeleteDoing without can be a good practice at times. I maybe did it too much when I lived in Hawaii, which was good for balancing, I guess.
love
Ela