Sunday, September 9, 2012

"Normal"--The Emperor's New Clothes? & Mum Visit


I'm grateful for the tug of normality--normalcy, even, though I find that suffix ugly. People are polite: people are willing to countenance without comment changes in their friends' hair length, dress habits (ok that's a tautology, since a habit is a kind of dress), weight. Oh yes of course, everyone has a friend, sometimes a mere acquaintance, who will unabashedly ask about the obvious. But for the most part, people are willing to allow changes to be subsumed under normal, to assume this is how things are supposed to be. You could even say that normalcy/normality is a conspiracy we all agree to maintain. 

Good job, Ela, you just retold The Story of the Emperor's New Clothes, complete with dress/habit elision! And you thought you had something new and interesting here.

Hear me just a moment more! But we each inhabit several worlds. It's only when these worlds unravel into one another that the fiction of normal starts to come undone. Right now I look more like I looked all my adult life than at any time in the past four years, but so many other things have changed. My friends in dirt-hippie days were astonished when my visiting mom mentioned my hothouse academic background. I don't know that anyone now could imagine me as an almost-professional musician, with the lifestyle and time commitment involved, and my present life is mysterious to my friends from that time. Where would normal lie in these intersections?

I started out saying I was grateful for the capacious countenancing of normal: a squint of the eye here, a double take there. It's useful to me as I re-enter normal life from a very abnormal few months. People acquiesce in how I seem, generally. Accept as normal how/what I eat. I spent the last few months being told I had to be 'abnormal' going forth in my faithfulness to 'the meal plan' or else it would be all downhill. My faithfulness to the meal plan is about analogous to Phil's faithfulness to resting his surgeried left arm, and in both cases what we're doing steers clear of outright damage. Our friends would recognize it as normal for each of us. But if someone from the treatment centers saw either of us in action, there would be a rupturing of the veil of normal right there. On the other hand, I am never a person who breaks a contract or pulls out at short notice, and, having thought I'd tough it through teaching this term, I ended up pulling out at very short notice on my therapist's nigh insistence. I'm glad I'm not teaching this term, I have plenty of other work. And I'm even more glad that the Campus Director was so kind about it; that, in a sense, it was allowed to be part of normal.

And now my mom is coming to visit again! We're driving up to Anchorage to meet her tomorrow. I'm writing this amid cleaning and dusting and generally trying to get our tiny place presentable. I've been home two weeks and after three months gone, that's been a very short time to get things lined up. Of course, my mom is one of my closest connections, in a shared psychic love bond, together with lots of instinctive cultural knowledge, together with shared memories my whole life long. All that said, we've inhabited different worlds for the most part for many years now. Start with the fact that I've lived in the US for twelve years. But even aside from the tiny cabin, with its precarious position, lack of shower, scenic outhouse; what is she going to find totally other than normal in her unspooling into this world? 

Already, when I was an undergraduate at Oxford, I discovered the joy of having strangers visit: the overlapping of their worlds with my normal allowed me to see over again the visible magic of my surroundings (of course, the not-visible had never fallen off my radar). A step away, and normal can become luminous.

For the conspiracy of normal to work among friends, we assume that we'll each do our part to keep normalcy tidy, picked up, watered, arranged in an aesthetically pleasing manner. I broke that responsibility last spring with my manic swan dive toward destruction. Although someone from the treatment center might see some of my choices as 'not normal', be it known I'm taking the actions that prevent me from being dangerous, or at least unpleasant, to be around (taking meds, keeping regular hours); that other intakes are firmly steered away from downward spirals; that my science with the scale is impartial evidence of maintenance.

I hope to be able to check in here during my mom's visit, but we'll see how that goes. Much love.

17 comments:

  1. It must be hard to integrate some of the directives of the treatment center into your life if you sort of live an alternative life in a way. But I hope you can filter through and find the core things that help you get better and stay better.

    How nice your mom is visiting! I can't remember if you said she's come before. I am sure you've told her about your cabin and outhouse so she's ready to "rough it" a little (as us toilet-in-the-house people would call it). Enjoy her presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bitt!

      Oh you are so perceptive about it being hard to integrate treatment's directives given my own alternative lifestyle. Of course I shouldn't use that as an excuse, but I think it's definitely a factor. And there are things, like you said, that I can hang onto to stay better.

      My mom hasn't been to AK before, and she's pretty excited. She came to Hawaii when I lived there, so she's come across outhouses before in that context with me ;) but it's much easier there where it's warmer. Thanks for your wishes!
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  2. Hey Ela,
    I've been looking around for normal for awhile and think that it might have gone missing so long ago that I might not recognize it when it returns call me by name and reciting things we used to do together. My new normal seems more an attempt to just keep from falling off the edge of that virtual and/or real cliff than a happy medium or a socially constructed green zone.

    Maybe the better standard is what might help us
    live and succeed to our own dreams. Nothing normal about that. It is instead a spectacular
    responsibility to nurture ourselves and to feed our futures.

    It is daunting, a journey that requires humor, examination, correction and a most of all, the realization that I am small and most certainly hopelessly wrong about everything.
    Best wishes,
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Shan, 'spectacular responsibility' is right--that feels like what life is. Your description of normal also sounds eerily familiar, right down to the cliff's edge.
      If you're 'most certainly hopelessly wrong about everything', perhaps you're wrong about that!
      But yes, keeping open and open and open and being willing to be broken further open--it seems like that's what becomes necessary.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you aren't teaching this term. I don't like to back out of commitments either, but this sounds like a very wise choice. Rest as you can and enjoy the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks so much, Mindy. I appreciate that you picked up on the not teaching thing. It's an incredible relief.
      Glad to have mom here, doing the best/hoping to.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  4. All I can think about when reading this post is a quote from a kids movie, The Incredibles. If you don't know it, it's about a family of super heroes who aren't allowed to show their super powers because society doesn't want their help. They are sitting at the dinner table and the mother is trying the make life appear normal, when the teenage daughter interrupts her saying, "Normal? What do *you* know about normal? What does *anyone* in *this* family know about normal? We act normal, mom! I want to *be* normal! The only normal one is Jack-Jack, and he's not even toilet trained!"
    It's a silly quote, but really, what do any of us know about normal? We all have to create our own "normal", and accept the "normal" of those around us. It's what makes life beautiful. If we all had the same normal life would be so boring!
    Blessings to you!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Tracy, I haven't ever seen The Incredibles, but I've heard of it. I love your little scene from it--it hits right on the head what I was talking about. I love the idea that we can create our own normal, and our friends accept what we created.
      I'm hoping to bring my mum to the farmer's market this Saturday, so maybe I'll finally meet you there!
      love
      Ela

      Delete
    2. I'm so bummed, last week was our last week at the Market!!! Maybe we can meet somewhere else some time. :(

      Delete

    3. Oh, Tracy, I'm bummed too! But since we live in the same town, I hope we can manage to run into each other at some point.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  5. As a Mom, I can't resist: the hardest is if there is silent expectation of me thick in the air and the best is if I am allowed to be Mom with my little Momisms, as long as they don't hurt--if they do, I like a simple, Mom, that hurt. And I like lots of hugs! Happy Days are coming for you and Mom--!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Kay, I love that you weigh in with the Mom perspective! I've definitely been hoping to accept Mom with the Mom-isms; the hardest part (which I keep to myself) is seeing how many things I notice about myself, communication-wise and otherwise, are exactly like her. Probably a real good thing to pay attention to, allowing lots of acceptance and relaxation.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  6. Believe me, Ela, it works both ways--it is very hard to see the un-good parts of me come out in my daughter--and you are right; only way to work with this is pay attention to those things, accept, relax, work to change when possible.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Kay! I hadn't thought about it going both ways. The wonderful thing about that is that we have the opportunity to learn so much from one another in the process.

      Good time so far--our little corner up here is intriguing and fascinating. My mom loves natural beauty and oceans and rocks, and isn't fazed by our rustic accommodations--so much to admire about her.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  7. I hope the Ela and mom time is going well so far. 3 days. thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Meredith--thinking of you too. So far, we're doing well.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  8. I hope you are enjoying time with your mom. When times are rough, I especially want my mom around.

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!