Saturday, September 15, 2012

On Wearing Jewelry; Visit Update

Update first: we are having a great time here! It is a delight to have my wonder at this place renewed through my mom's marveling eyes. We have hiked beaches in rain and wind and fleeting sunshine, stopping to pick up rocks, exclaim over clam shells, slipping up on mats of kelp. Phil and mom took the truck while I stayed home and did some work. They returned with our season's second load of kelp to layer over our gardens as we start to put them to bed. We have experienced the adventure of The Washboard and taking showers there. We have picked low bush cranberries and have been enjoying them cooked down with a little sugar/erythritol and some freeze-dried raspberries added at the last minute to thicken things up and add some redlicious flavor.

I'm getting lots of feedback from two people who know me very well. Despite all the work I did on communication and boundaries over the summer, I'm astonished anew by my lack of self-awareness.

Jewelry-wearing
This is something I've been wanting to write about for ages--two months at least.
Before I left at the beginning of the summer, I shared this wooden diamond pendant Phil got me as a parting gift.
I adored it, I wore it every day at the Foie Gras Farm at least, I fingered it around my neck, I proudly explained its provenance to admirers; I couldn't believe something so beautiful could be mine.

The truth is, a big part of my appreciation of it was its uniqueness; also, its connection to Phil and home. Another part was the sheer novelty of wearing jewelry. Ordinarily, I hardly ever do. I'll put on a necklace for a while, wear it non-stop, be aggravated by the extra effort of taking it off for showers or bed, over and above taking off all my layers...;)  and finally (soon) settle back into necklace-less-ness(!) 

Putting this one on and taking it off gave an intentionality to the act of wearing it that was so new to me. Juxtaposed with the fact that all the other girls with whom I was in such close quarters had elaborate grooming and dressing routines, whole cases of jewelry and make-up to choose from every day, never mind the clothes, this awareness invited me to think about the act of wearing jewelry--what it says and does for and about a person.

Any ideas? 
I know some of the girls there said that it was one way to feel ok about themselves--to pay a lot of attention to their make-up/hair/jewelry. Now I'd always not-wanted to draw attention to my appearance, not-cared whether I felt ok about myself from that external perspective, but it all comes back to what you think of as normal. Being around it so much, I started to think that maybe paying more attention to appearance was normal, that maybe I should consider it.

I ended up with another necklace I liked a lot while at the Sandwich Academy, and a friend sent me a friendship bracelet, which I was so incredibly glad to get. I realized I'd always wanted a friendship bracelet and had never had one. Perhaps I'll learn to make them soon. But here's another thing I got so beautiful I can't believe it's mine.

I found this wonderful stall at the Arts Fair that happened toward the end of my time in Bellevue. The artist called her work 'copper lace' or 'silver lace'--she worked fine strands of those metals into bracelets and pendants, sometimes studded with gemstones or worked glass. She also reminded me of one of my most beloved poetry professors in her energy and spirit. We tried on lots of bracelets and I found one that I loved even more than the others, studded with citrine and garnet. It needed resizing, so she kept it overnight and I came back for my bracelet, made to measure for me, next morning!
Yes, isn't the juxtaposition with the friendship bracelet just wonderful?
You'd think I never wanted to wear a bracelet again, after all the identification bracelets at Foie Gras Farm and the privilege levels they connoted.
But what I realized with this beautiful copper on my wrist was that whereas I never really see a pendant, I can see a bracelet myself whenever I choose to look. A call to remind myself of..what? 
My own worthiness? 
To pay attention to my appearance/to appearances?
That there is beauty in the world?
That this too shall pass?

What does jewelry tell you?
Coming up: a guest post, from Mum!

10 comments:

  1. What a great post. I hardly wear jewelry anymore because I work at home and hardly see my clients. I've made a lot of my own but am limited in my craft (nonexistent in my life now, except the gazillion beads). I love the way the two bracelets look and amazed at how the friendship bracelet blends (but not too much) with your skin tone. Seems the perfect rustic match while the other is so elegant.
    Love,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks so much, Meredith! And thanks especially for the bracelet itself. I'm just starting to get interested in beads/beading--when things get less busy and I have more time I might try to learn.
      It's an interesting point that not being out a lot/having to meet clients makes it easier not to take care of that kind of thing. I'm experimenting with the idea of putting stuff on even "just because" (although that's fallen by the wayside a bit of late.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
    2. I used to wear jewelry a lot, in college and stuff. Having kids dowsed it for me as I'm sure it does plenty of stay-at-home moms. When I went back to work outside the home, I wore it again, but now back home...Sometimes I think of it as a pain to bother. Like, what's the point? hmmmm

      Delete
  2. I love bracelets! I don't know why, there is just something elegant about them. My recent favorite was given to me by a dear young friend who has gone off to college, so it reminds me to pray for her.
    Yours are gorgeous! Come over to my place some time and I'll teach you how to make friendship bracelets. I haven't done that in forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Wow, Tracy, what a wonderful offer! I'd love to do that sometime--perhaps after my mum has gone back and things have settled into more of a rhythm. I love how friendship bracelets can be so symbolic/significant and also so beautiful.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  3. Hi Ela, I love this post. I often have a love/hate relationship with jewelry -- or more like a indifference/appreciation relationship with jewelry. I will go months without any, and then suddenly where more... not a ton. I don't own a ton (most coming from my mom who wants me to wear more jewelry - ha!), but I have pieces I like. Part of the "problem" is that I lose jewelry and I hate shopping.

    But over the past few years, as I have done more and more cooking and gardening, I realized my food and plants got way more attention than myself, in terms of grooming and presentation. I realized that wearing jewelry is not about appearances, but about paying attention to myself in an intentional way. I still don't own a lot, but one or two pieces is an affirmation that I see myself. And if I don't wear jewelry, I still see myself. It's my choice how to see.

    (I still don't get the make-up thing. Tinted lipgloss is as far as I go. I have 5 of those. hehe!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe! I'm so glad you looked in. We really need to catch up: so many commonalities. Yes, I had make-up put on me at Hallowe'en last year and the one before, but other than that I've worn it barely a dozen times in my lengthening life!

      Our pattern with jewelry sounds similar also. Cooking and gardening have been a big part of my life these past years also, and while I wouldn't say my gardening is very aesthetically distinguished, I too had the realization that plants and presented food received more attention than I did. The intentionality you mention is also exactly what I was thinking about.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  4. I love your bracelets and your pendant: all so uniquely beautiful, just like you. I much prefer the idea of a few well-loved pieces as opposed to having cases of the stuff. To me, it would take too much energy and time to sort through it all if you have a lot - and it feels like a form of desperation if people are working too hard at it. That said, I've all but stopped wearing it myself, and seeing your pretty things make me think it might be nice to search out something I could really enjoy wearing and looking at.

    So exciting that your Mum will be a guest poster. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Mindy.
      Yes, I agree that having a few special/significant pieces is so far preferable to cases and cases. I think if I had too many, I'd feel threatened in my knowledge of who I am, but perhaps that's because of my tendency to invest objects, especially beautiful ones, with symbolic/metaphysical/spiritual significance!
      Yes, I think my mum is thinking about what she's going to post--coming soon!
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  5. I love, love, love this post. First of all, I'm so happy you and your mom are having such a wonderful time. Can't wait to read her post.

    Oh, and you know how much a adore jewelry. That "copper lace" jewelry is so interesting. I've been doing a lot of wire work lately, so I'll have to try that technique. It's perfect with the friendship bracelet. I wish we lived closer and I could teach you to make one.

    I also think that pendant is so special. Jewelry with meaning is the best you can wear. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

    Wearing and making jewelry reminds me of my grandmother who passed away when I was in high school. I used to play in her jewelry box, and actually now own some of those old pieces. She used to make crocheted beaded rings that are now making a comeback with the vintage trend. I always think of her when I see them.

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!