Well, a few days have slipped by since I last posted! Thanks for the compassion about getting our little space tidy and about finding some tranquil space within oneself. The balance between 'go-go-go' and the still center that allows the wheel to spin is exactly the 'ulterior harmony' that inspired this blog's name: I try to put reminders of it in prominent places in my life to undercut my forgetting.
But still, I forget--I've been busy! My first 'packet' of original creative work and three critical essays is due to be sent to my Mentor this coming Thursday, so it's getting close. I'm loving the process of creating the work, although of course it all feels way too 'raw' to send for scrutiny.
I've also been busy getting our house in order. Remember this tall cabinet, the shell of which I put together probably two months ago?
Well, it's now a five-drawer unit!
All ready to get filled up with things that otherwise dangle around on countertops.And then this mess...
Has been transformed into this:
I just need Phil's help to fit it under the counter (and first the counter needs to be level...)
I'm grateful to have had the impetus to get this done. The worst book piles are also sorted; now I just need to wade through the paperwork backlog! It feels good to create the foundations of an uncluttered place.
Meanwhile, back to the 'ulterior harmony:' I take seriously my ND's 'prescription' to spend some alone time every day, even if it's only five minutes, doing something to support my 'parasympathetic' system. All the busy-ness and craziness is mirrored in the crazy soup of my body; I'm having to increase rather than reduce some of my supps/meds, and the constant imperative to supply cortisol for the craziness means that even less of the other necessary things gets produced.
There have been days when less work gets done because my self is going crazy, spinning wheels in overdrive, getting nowhere except to self-denigrating places from which I should stay away. Some days, my 'alone time for parasympathetic support' has been head-under-covers hiding out. Others, I can enjoy the blessing that we are having a few raspberries ripening...
...much later than usual and far fewer than usual, due to the ravages of the snowshoe hares last winter. Some of our carrots are getting big too, and they are so delicious.But see how the bottom left is rodent-gnawed? If we want to eat our carrots, we may have to harvest most of them before they fill out all the way to their points. Raising a garden is definitely a competitive sport up here!
Now, I'd better get back to my writing.
How do you keep yourself reminded of what 'the demon' wants you to forget?






You look so gorgeous in that first photo - light, bright, centered, content.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your writing deadline!
That's a great photo of you. Totally agree with Amber Shea.
ReplyDeleteWe've been busy around here, too, but for other reasons. Hayden has been potty-training. I feel like we are always in the bathroom.
mmm raspberries. i can't think of a better friend to spend my alone time with-berries. and nature.
ReplyDeletethe carrots don't look too bad. again my pup wishes she could help chase off some critters. :-)
i haven't been doing that well with my demons at all so no advice here. hope you feel more centered soon. as much as i hate crazy busy times, I also despise when it's too quiet around. lonely.
Thanks so much, Amber--I posted that photo originally a couple months ago. Writing deadline has come and gone, and I look forward to the next batch of work!
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Shannonmarie--wow, that must be an intense time. Potty-training definitely has 'proud moment' potential but I'm sure you'll all be glad when you're done!
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
bitt--that's a good point that 'too quiet' can be difficult as well as crazy-busy.
ReplyDeleteOh, those carrots are lovely, just we're going to have to harvest them a bit sooner than ideal before the slugs and voles have 'em all. Your pup would have a field day here!
I hope that you feel better and calmer soon too!
love
Ela