Today got away from me after a late night last night, so I don't yet have intentions to share. I do have a funny story I'd love to share, though, of how Phil and I ended up with our New Year's explosions a few days early.
It's been below zero Fahrenheit today, and having blithely mentioned yesterday that our water pipe had only frozen twice this winter, it's frozen again, and has been all day. Of course we headed out for a beach hike nonetheless, right after a late breakfast.
The ice encrustations are stunning.
It was almost too cold to take photographs at all, especially as it involved removing a mitten and having just a thin glove between my hand and the icy air. The ocean was literally steaming, so much warmer than the land... In weather like this, btw, it is so advantageous to be a guy, in terms of not having to uncover so much when the bladder demands. Oooh tmi, but my gosh it was a tough decision to relieve myself!
It's a strange experience to go out hiking for exercise and then to need to spend twenty minutes bouncing on the rebounder just to warm up (despite having worn multiple layers, including two hats and two pairs of gloves).
Here's my funny story. Last time we went to Anchorage, I treated myself to three new flavors of kombucha, with chia seeds in them, no less, that were on sale. I loved the idea--super-filling for few calories, delicious, good bacteria... And I enjoyed the raspberry and grape flavors that day and the next.
Then, I did what I often do--I hoarded the cherry flavor. And where are you supposed to store kombucha? In the fridge. Where did I hoard mine? In the pantry, right where the sun shines in when it's actually out...
A few evenings ago, I happened to notice agitated movements of the chia seeds inside that bottle, and thought I'd better open it. I opened the lid a little way and of course it all fizzed up. So, slowly, slowly, I opened, it fizzed, I opened, it fizzed...and I noticed that the lid was actually getting tighter. It got to the point that I couldn't move it at all, even with a cloth over it.
So I called in the man. But even mighty Phil couldn't shift it, to his great surprise. So...he went and got the pipe wrench. And then he went and got his biggest pipe wrench. And he cranked on that bottle and there was an almighty bang!
And now there were chia seeds all over the entire cabin! There was only one ounce of liquid remaining in the bottle. Zone of greatest impact was our (muslin) ceiling right above:Here's my funny story. Last time we went to Anchorage, I treated myself to three new flavors of kombucha, with chia seeds in them, no less, that were on sale. I loved the idea--super-filling for few calories, delicious, good bacteria... And I enjoyed the raspberry and grape flavors that day and the next.
Then, I did what I often do--I hoarded the cherry flavor. And where are you supposed to store kombucha? In the fridge. Where did I hoard mine? In the pantry, right where the sun shines in when it's actually out...
A few evenings ago, I happened to notice agitated movements of the chia seeds inside that bottle, and thought I'd better open it. I opened the lid a little way and of course it all fizzed up. So, slowly, slowly, I opened, it fizzed, I opened, it fizzed...and I noticed that the lid was actually getting tighter. It got to the point that I couldn't move it at all, even with a cloth over it.
So I called in the man. But even mighty Phil couldn't shift it, to his great surprise. So...he went and got the pipe wrench. And then he went and got his biggest pipe wrench. And he cranked on that bottle and there was an almighty bang!
That's not a blurry photo--it's chia seeds ground zero on a sloping muslin ceiling! But the centrifugal coverage was just incredible. There were seeds (with purple juice around them) on every single window, including those in the loft. There were chia seeds on our comforter up in the loft, on our clothes on the backs of the chairs, on the floor, on the lights, on the phone, on every blade of the ceiling fan (which wasn't running at the moment, thank goodness). Thankfully only one library book got maybe two seeds on it. Thankfully the computers were closed up.
Thankfully, too, the only pain it caused was from laughter: Phil and I stared at each other in silence for a couple stunned seconds after the explosion, and then simultaneously busted out laughing so hard, we were soon doubled over. As we worked to clean up (which needed a ladder), we laughed some more.
Phil pointed out that this should teach me not to hoard things but to enjoy them when they come. Probably good for me to reflect on that, but I enjoy just laughing about it too. I hope it's funny for you as well!





Oh my gosh, I don't know Ela. Maybe with a strong helper to assist in all the cleaning. If I were by myself cleaning all of that up I might cry. Actually, I read on another blog a story from someone who makes homemade kombucha. The family was just sitting in the living area together, when they heard a loud explosion. A kombucha bottle had actually exploded and shattered all over the kitchen. Glass missiles, not chia seed missiles! Boy were they thankful none of them were in their kitchen at the time. I'm so glad the bottle itself didn't blow up and hurt you both terribly. I guess I'd say, keep that kombucha in the fridge to slow the fermentation down until you are ready to drink it. Whew, I like the image of you two laughing together - sorry to be a party pooper and tell a scary story in return. All that said, I love the idea of kombucha with chia seeds. I don't know if I've seen that at my local WF. Of course, I suppose I could just buy regular kombucha and add some to it before drinking. I won't ever make my own, not out of fear of accidents mind you, but I only want it very occasionally and I definitely don't have the space for a brewing operation.
ReplyDeleteOh, and about needing to relieve yourself. I don't know if I could do it out there in that frigid cold. I'd be drawn to go out and experience nature and I'd want to look and see everything, but nowadays I don't seem to have as much holding power. I'm thinking I might have to invest in some of those grown up diapers to avoid the issue. :)
Oh my! I admire you for laughing; I probably would've just been pissed off at myself! I too am a hoarder, and half the time I hoard something I love, it spoils or goes bad...oy!
ReplyDeleteI like this story! One of the vestiges of my ED behavior is that I hoard food -- I have been teased by many a BF :)
ReplyDeleteI consider myself an outdoorswoman, but you've got this California girl beat by a landslide. Alaska is no joke! I love the photos.
ReplyDeletewow the ice looks like a skeleton!
ReplyDeleteI am embarrassed to say I have had way too many chia explosions, although not at the moment of hoarding. I am a grocery store eater at times or right-after-I buy-it eater so I've had explosions right in the store! At least then it's not my house that's messy and I usually get a replacement. But I've had on house explosions and the place usually stinks for a few days. ;-) Way to enter the new year with a bang!
Sorry to hear about your frozen pipes. Hope they thaw asap.
ReplyDeleteThe chia story was a hoot. I think I'm still laughing about it. So happy to know you were able to laugh about it, too :-)
Mindy, I've heard a story somewhat like that before too--fortunately, it was back in HI, and my friend was very seldom in his fermentation 'shed.' Unfortunately, being HI, you can imagine the ants it drew!
ReplyDeleteI actually just let go of my own kombucha cultures. They'd gotten a little funky and I hadn't made any for months and months, and decided that if I want to start again, I should start afresh. With all the candida cleansing I did last year, starting with new cultures sounds like a good thing anyway.
I think it really helped that we were both together when it happened. There was that little moment before we both busted out laughing, and I think we were both deciding whether to laugh or cry! I'm glad it was funny.
Phil has a very funny story about wearing adult diapers to the movies (with his brother and s-i-l) having deliberately drunk way too much soda beforehand, just to see if they'd 'work' (they did, but they gave my s-i-l a horrible rash too!) The thought has crossed my mind on very cold hiking days, and also back in HI when I was working bees for hours on end, but I'm not quite there yet. My 'holding power' isn't great either.
love
Ela
Amber--it helped that Phil was there too--somehow the fact that we were both involved, and the pipe wrench, just made it funny, and fortunately cleaning up the mess felt better when we were laughing!
ReplyDeleteIt is too bad when something hoarded goes off! I have a couple things that have been in the freezer over a year--definitely past prime time even so!
love
Ela
Gena--it's a funny habit, isn't it! It was fascinating being in Israel, in my grandmother's neighborhood where there are stores close by that sell in small quantities because stuff's always there. All these old people with their wheeled shopping carts, and if you run out of something, you can just walk out and get more. _So_ different from my mentality! I know that I have a hoarder's mentality, partly from the ED, and partly it's one of the few ways I take after my dad rather than mom. But living up here exacerbates it: if I'm running low on something I can't live without, like carrots, I'd better get some when they're available: there's no saying there will be any at the store when I want them!
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Hi Elizabeth!
ReplyDeleteThanks for looking in! You know, the funny thing is that when I lived in CA and HI, I spent a lot more time outdoors, because I just don't do great with the cold. That said, I think that getting out is essential to survival of the long winters here--otherwise, here comes 'cabin fever!'
love
Ela
bitt--yes, the skeleton ice sculptures are stunning here right now.
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting that you've had explosions right in the store! I guess GT Dave should probably know, but at least it's good you can get a replacement right there.
Thankfully, it doesn't seem to have stunk up the cabin too much, but it definitely was a bang for the new year!
love
Ela
Thanks, Shannonmarie--it took two days, but the pipe's thawed again, thankfully.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that the chia burst story gave you a giggle! Phil and I are both still giggling about it off and on too.
love
Ela
That happened to me once too when opening some homemade kombucha in a grolsch bottle. Blew all over everything. Over the winter holidays I also left a bottle of mostly drank Kombucha on my desk. There was only about a half inch of liquid left. When I returned, to my surprise - I had a kombucha baby! I'm going to use it to start my own batch. Thanks for the laughs!
ReplyDelete