Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Finding a Rhythm at the Wobbly Point, Comfort Zone Communication

As the week gallops by, the days are lengthening, and we have a big full moon hanging up there, casting shadows even at night.
I'm already harkening ahead to the dizzy solstice days when there's almost never any darkness to hide behind, no excuse of darkness not to be busy and out there--and it's not even the equinox yet, although the clocks going forward so soon brings it closer (grumble). (On the other hand, Phil also points out that during those summer days, light riots in such luxurious abundance that it's easy to postpone projects because it'll still be light all the way to midnight.)

On a happier note, I've spent significant time the past two days writing poetry, reading poetry, and writing a critical essay. In this awkward, cuspy time of year, as snow lingers and light lengthens and shadows shift and everything feels a bit off, I cannot quantify how much better I'm feeling in myself as a result of this. The cow's being milked and oh, it feels good.

I'm going to keep this brief tonight, as there's still some work to do, but speaking of work, I wanted to share some thoughts about an odd kind of "comfort zone communication" I've been experiencing recently. I don't know whether to call this a "problem" or just a "phenomenon." What I'm noticing is that for many people, myself included, it's more comfortable to open up, be chatty and conversational, remotely, than it is to interact face to face with actual people, body language, and all the rest of it.

Last week, with all the haywire technology around my course's midterm, I spent an inordinate amount of time on the phone with the technological folks and with the distance education services co-ordinators. And some of the tech guys in particular, not otherwise noted for being socially outgoing, were positively chatty! While we tried to chase down the bugs in my course shell, their conversations ranged over a variety of topics, they were inquisitive about my course and the languages referred to therein, etc, etc. I'm grateful for this in a way, as it's the closest thing I get to collegiality much of the time, as a distance-education faculty. On the other hand, with my writing time so precious and so threatened, I worry about the ease with which I can end up, essentially, chit-chatting while we try to fix broken software. Then, I see myself chatting on facebook, or writing lengthy and socially appropriate emails, at times when I'm not together enough to talk "in real life" to anybody in a remotely civil or socially appropriate way.

How is it that we can adapt to conversation without any of the cues and immediacy that make it meaningful and relevant? Isn't it backwards that I find interacting with someone I can't see less stressful than I find interacting with someone naturally, with their sight, smell, sound, affect and their presence right there with me?

Interesting that I'm posing the question on my blog, another asynchronous and not-in-person communication medium. I just hope that hiding behind a screen isn't eroding my ability to communicate in person.

Any thoughts?

16 comments:

  1. nice thoughts to ponder. i think the convenience of time and the control we have over our response (the easy delete, backspace) and the veil of not being there in person (communicating via our Avatars) makes this form of communication much more, easy. but i have to agree that this could threaten our real life interactions. voice and manner of being change the dynamics of communicating and theres just so much at play on an intuitive level when we talk face to face, catching the silence between words and looking into the eyes and just so many things are awakened. theres a difference between chit-chat and deep conversation though. chit-chat is fun but can make my eyes glaze after a while (if its unimportant chatter) but throwing ideas and provoking truths, unravelling together through deep conversation is something important for me. I can't imagine not being able to do it with someone else. people are mirrors and without being able to mirror, its like not being able to see who we are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina, exactly what I was thinking/worrying about! I haven't yet reliably been able to plumb the intuitive levels when interacting online, and although I think the pared down stimulations help me in some ways, I worry about enabling my own dysfunctionality!
      Love what you say about 'unravelling together' and being mirrors--I've been working on a poem about exactly that for the past month or so!
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  2. I was out of communication for several hours yesterday when I left my phone at home and went out of town to teach. It was weird. I liked being left alone, but I missed my people!

    Being an introvert, social media is like a gift from heaven. You get interaction, but it's not overwhelming. People talk about e-media making us more disconnected, and maybe that's true, from our present reality. But I feel much more connected than ever, because I have access to so many friends from all over the place and in a lonely job like writing, that is huge.

    I also take issue when people say that virtual connection isn't real. It feels pretty damn real to me. And the support and care I receive over email? Helps me just as much. Of course, I'm not one for hugging, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, that's exactly one of the most important preliminary lessons I learned when I first started designing this course I'm teaching: that "virtual" is "real!"

      I think I'm just questioning my own comfort with the pared down, less stimulating means of communication; worrying that the fact I can (more or less) interact online regardless of whether I'm dressed/fed/medicated/slept encourages me not to "try hard enough" in person, and to eschew the in person stuff.

      Hey, do you mind virtual hugs? (((Carrie)))
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  3. I relate to you 100%; I believe you and I have talked about this before. I am terrible at in-person communication - terrible. Awkward, halting, monotone, and frequently accused of "coldness" or "aloofness." But I can "talk" up a storm on a computer or piece of paper. I've always been this way, though; I figure it's why writing has always suited me, and talking has not. I don't know what I'd do without the internet, now I'm housebound all day every day and not keen on leaving my home and comfort zone right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I'm better at communicated from a distance and other times I prefer in person. Actually, it just depends on the person I'm interacting with and how I'm feeling at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannonmarie, that's a good point that it really depends on who and when. I'm so grateful that we have so many ways to stay connected nowadays. It's so much easier to stay in contact with far-flung family and friends.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  5. I get it, sometimes I don't feel put together enough in person and writing gives me more time to think and put together thoughts. For example earlier I had brain fog and couldn't think of what to write but now I feel clearer. I hope you feel more settled soon and fewer tech problems come your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bitt--I really appreciate it. That expression "put together enough" is _exactly_ what I'm referring to, that is somehow easier to override in the online environment.
      I know the technology has presented big challenges, but I wonder whether having to get myself out of the house to teach a class would be much harder...
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  6. I think it sometimes feels easier because we know if things got totally out of hand or hurtful, we could just log off. It's easier to "walk away" then when you are talking in person. In cases where you are having "in person" conversation - if you anger someone, he or she sometimes will actually trail along after you if you try to walk away. And, if you offend someone in your "real life" who you see all the time, well...it's easier to sever ties online than to get a divorce or leave behind a long-term friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, that's a really good point too. And what that sort of suggests is that the online communication area is easier because of fear. Hmm. A good line of thought for me to ponder.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  7. I prefer to be communicated in person... Love to feel human presence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anastasia. I agree with you, it's good to "feel" people.
      love
      Ela

      Delete
  8. Amber--yes, we've talked about this before. I agree that the internet is a godsend. Ordinarily, I love to get outside and I think that helps to balance things. However, between teaching an online course and being so busy and it being winter still, I've worried that I'm turning into too much of a brain in a vat.
    I still refuse to believe that you're terrible at in-person communication: I really think you must be exaggerating there. I look forward to skyping with you at least, or better meeting you in person, and we can be tongue-tied and im each other together! (Thank goodness I actually don't have texting...)
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm a very able in person communicator (can't sell books at a sales meeting, nor talk to a patient in an ER, if you aren't!) but I am absolutely my most comfortable in writing. I am famous for almost never picking up my phone unless something is wrong, and even with close friends and significant others, I'll opt for gchat over phone (in person is a different category, of course). I don't worry about it too much. What would scare me would be NOT having writing as a medium in which I feel capable of sharing anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Gena, you're so right--we're lucky to have the best of both worlds available to us. I'm sure you're a phenomenal in person communicator, but your cogency as a writer speaks for itself almost constantly too.

      love
      Ela

      Delete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!