But anyway - here are some pictures!
Here's Phil, whacking down the rampant horsetail grass in front of the outhouse. (It's rampant everywhere, including where we've pulled roots three feet down!) And yes, that is thin air and the edge of the bluff to his left, beyond the rowan tree. Best view from a toilet anywhere, I suspect!
Here I am in Anchorage last Friday, with a little wild rose Phil gave me. They are so pretty. Do you think my new hat is cute?
This is 'Turnagain Arm,' a long coastal inlet that the road south from Anchorage to Homer passes alongside of for the first 50 miles or so before climbing up into the mountains. This is the south side of the road. If you look closely, you'll see that those sticks of trees are festooned with terns. Right before I took the photo, they were all attacking an eagle, who must have been trying to make a meal from their nests. Eagles are so enormous and powerful, but we've been seeing them beleaguered by much smaller birds over and over these last few days - it's nesting season!
This next photo is the north side of the road in the same place (Girdwood). Still snow around in midsummer, but it is mountainous.
Can you believe this photo was taken at 9pm?? And 45 minutes later, here's Phil's daughter, the proud new owner, with her stove:
Now I want to show some pictures of our place. I think I mentioned yesterday that we've actually harvested from our garden! Here's a picture taken from the cabin that we live in up toward the 'new bunker,' Phil's bugbear project, where three of our raised beds are in view:
And lots of our little starts too. And raspberry canes front right. Here's a closeup of the raised beds by the construction site:
The radishes are going great guns! And don't you love those stylish alder branches sticking up on the left? They're intended as trellis for those little baby peas. The garden cart in the background is loaded with about 100lbs of 'eel grass' that Phil harvested from the beach. Smells just like manure and makes great fertilizer!
But look at these mushrooms volunteering amongst the spinach and swiss chard:
Supposedly they are something to do with all the horse manure we mixed into the soil.
Here's my harvest:
And on the right you can see a salad tray that I recycle as a seedling tray.
Finally - I'm running out of time online here - I want to post a couple of pics of the beautiful used bookstore where I work occasionally.
Here's the view as you come in the front door:
And here's another view of the first floor:
OK - I'd love to hear from regular photo-bloggers how to streamline this process! Maybe my computer and internet connection both are slow - but it's taken a long time to do this indeed. Probably I won't generally put as many pictures in a single post, but will just include a few each time. This is a bit of an overkill after many unillustrated posts.
lots of love.












No comments:
Post a Comment
I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!