Just a quick look-in with a 'wordstalk.' It's amazing how different dialects (of 'the same' (but not the same) English) use spatial metaphors differently, especially in colloquial expressions. It's also amazing how I will still occasionally be surprised by a 'Britishism' coming out of my mouth, sometimes without my even previously realizing that it's a 'Britishism,' even after ten years in the US in which time I've been very careful to conform to local idioms and speak in such a way that I can be understood. (And yes, I know that my written English is a different story, but written language is a whole other dialect than spoken anyway.)
Just now, Phil wanted to look at our calendar with me. With our various insulation-improvement projects, the cabin is in even more disarray and clutter than it often is already (embarrassed to post a picture!) and he sat down slightly sprawled on the couch, leaving slightly too little space for me to sit without disturbing the next pile of stuff.
Without thinking, I asked, 'Could you move up a bit so I can join you?' He immediately got that look of total perplexity, together with the 'upward' head gesture indicating that he was taking my request completely literally, which led to my instant recognition 'oh, is that a Britishism?' He said that he couldn't see what use it would be for him to move upwards into the air, and I said that that isn't what it means. 'So what does 'move up' mean, then?' 'Well, it means 'could you scoot over a bit, please.'' So strange, translating from one dialect to the other like that. And it reminded me of the first time someone asked me to 'scoot over,' when I hadn't been in the US for long, and I had no idea what they were asking me to do and got completely hung up and perplexed on the whole visual of 'scoot.'
No comments:
Post a Comment
I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!