Wednesday, June 1, 2011

'Home Comfort Foods' for Memorial Day

We had a 'Home Comfort Foods' celebration on Memorial Day. Everyone was to bring a favorite 'comfort' food. So of course, there was potato salad, 'goulash that no Hungarian would recognize,' Sicilian deep-dish pizza, Portuguese kale soup, green beans with bacon, cinnamon rolls, papas con chorizo...There was even a platter of McDonalds burgers and fries! And then, there were the jokers...
David said he was really looking for breast milk, but the banana baby food was actually quite good.

I wasn't sure how to feel about Phil trying to pass off the redback vole as comfort food, though...
 And yes, you're right--no 'Ela-friendly' food in the list so far (except for the baby food, lol)! So, what did I bring? I mentioned recently that I've been opening up to the exploration of 'what do I like?' I also wanted to bring something that we ate when I was a kid. The dessert part was a no-brainer for me, and I'll get to it in a moment. For the main course, though, I used the opportunity to explore Iraqi-Israeli recipes online and discovered that there are whole books devoted to it. I'm so looking forward to exploring more.

I made kitchri--Iraqi-Israeli rice and lentils, with the charred crust. Our cabin smelled like my grandmother's house and I smiled all day.

 I was so proud that I got the crust done! It's been forever since I made something like that.
 The dessert? I said it was a no-brainer: actually, mashed bananas and dates was a close contender and perfectly reflected by David's baby food, as it turned out. But when I was a kid--and a young adult, for that matter, I thought that if I couldn't live on fruit, I could live on cardamom rice pudding.
 It seems that every raw chef confesses to one food from the creamy-dairy world that they so missed and were so delighted to make in the raw. It never occurred to me until just recently that I had one too: that I would make cardamom rice pudding long after I'd given up dairy in any other form. Of course, traditional rice pudding is cooked in milk, then you add condensed milk too. And of course I wasn't going to do that this time! So I crockpotted the rice in lots of water and cardamom, added sweetener later, and added coconut milk for the creaminess. The crockpot was a wonderful tool for getting the rice super-soft and creamy. Oh, and the smell of cardamom infusing the air...Heaven.

Without the bad after-effects of the dairy now, if there weren't so many delicious raw foods that I prefer, I could still imagine wanting to live on this! Creamy, soft, smooth, sweet, cardamom, good either warm or chilled, topped with banana baby food or plain...

And, everyone else loved it too!
We always had a plate of carrot sticks at the dinner table when I was a kid, so I brought along carrot sticks too, and they were quite well-enjoyed, considering the vast spread of richer foods.

I also made sesame snaps. Boiled sugar and butter isn't my usual style, but Phil adores this stuff and it's definitely another middle-eastern item.
 Since there are now two semi-gluten-free folks in our circle besides myself, perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised to find a gluten free chocolate chip cookie on my plate. But it's been many years indeed since I ate a chocolate chip cookie.
 It's raining and murky today, but Memorial Day was gorgeous--sunny and warm. After our 'home comforts' dinner, we sat outside around the firepit at our friends' home and admired their new greenhouse.
I hope your Memorial Day was as delicious as ours was!
Please stay tuned for a book review and giveaway.

10 comments:

  1. oh, lovely food! and Phil looking great!
    you should /could be manufacturing the stuff!
    though it's hard work commercially
    rachel H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, that pudding looks great and reminds me of some of my childhood comfort foods. Love that you used a crockpot. Any interest in posting the exact recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like such a fun memorial day! what a fun idea for a get together :) and yum, that rice pudding looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun time together. Glad you have another gluten-free friend, I think it getting more common.

    The firepit looks so cozy. I wish I had one. I love fires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous party idea. Your dishes looked delectable! Quick question: have you always felt comfortable snapping pics at gatherings? If not, any tips for how to get to that point? I love taking food pictures, but often feel uncomfortable doing so in social situations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mum! Good to see you on here. I think that it would be _so hard_ to do commercially. But I did make a "cheesecake" (based on cashews, etc) on commission again yesterday.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Bria--Welcome! I love to meet another middle-eastern foodie!

    Yes, I'd be glad to post the recipe for the rice pud, or as close as I can remember what I did--maybe I'll do so in a day or two.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Zoe--thanks for looking in! Yes, it was a great idea for a party.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey bitt--Phil's daughter has been mostly gf for some time (but doesn't worry so much about eggs/dairy)--I've been making treats for her for a while but not eating them. And now her mom has decided that she feels better on gf too! But I think that most of what they make is likely to have butter and eggs, so I'll probably pass. Figuring out what I 'really like,' I don't think I care for baked goods that much--maybe just never acquired a taste for them.

    I hope you get a fire pit one day, or even a rustic fire ring in the yard--fires are so magical.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, kt--and great question. I didn't even have a camera until less than a year ago--my first few months of blogging were mostly without photos. So I'm relatively new to it too. Sometimes I do feel self-conscious, but most of the time I just take a quick pic and try not to think about it! Fortunately, our friends up here also enjoy taking pics at gatherings, and many of them read my blog on facebook (although that doesn't seem to be working right now for some reason). And when we were down in OR and ate out, I got the camera out and asked if folks minded if I took pics, and someone immediately said 'is it going on the blog?' so I guess I'm lucky that people are understanding.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!