First, a quick announcement. This week, on Thursday evening, there's going to be a great Poetry show in Anchorage as part of the Spenard Jazz Festival. And I'm going to be participating! You can see my name in tiny print down toward the bottom left.
I'll be reading four of my poems. There are going to be seventeen poets, plus dancers and musicians, so I get the opportunity to be one among many and I'm looking forward to being inspired! It's at the Hugi Lewis Studio on Northern Lights, on the west side of town. I've never been there before. It will be an honor to perform side by side with the winners of the recent statewide poetry competition and others. And this will be just the day before the Kachemak Bay Writers' Conference starts. Rita Dove is coming to Homer! I'm so excited. Just wanted to share--if you're in Anchorage, come on over on Thursday night.
My giveaway ends tomorrow. Today, I have a bonus review to share. As I mentioned in my review of Must Have Been Something I Ate
I was a little surprised to see that they are lightly toasted, but some research showed that that is the traditional way that they have always been prepared in Peru, where they originate.
Since they are omega-3-rich seeds, I was expecting them to be tiny and mucilaginous, like chia and flax. Wrong! They are about the size of a small peanut, and taste remarkably similar to peanuts too.
I used my sample of 'oh natural' flavor (lightly sea salted) to make the pesto linguini recipe from the book. It was enough for a half-recipe.
She suggests pairing the pesto with zucchini linguini, cooked pasta or quinoa, or kelp noodles. I like this kind of flexibility, and I chose instead to make a carrot-jicama 'slaw as the base, with some green beans and corn kernels.
The pesto consists of basil, sacha inchi seeds (salted and lightly toasted), hemp seeds, olive oil, salt. I was surprised that there was no lemon in the recipe, but tried it that way and it was good. I didn't have enough basil, so I used a little fresh parsley and oregano too.
The carrots and jicama were so beautiful that I was loath to spread a green sauce all over them...
...but they looked beautiful that way too, garnished with a sliced tomato and some flowers from our chives that successfully wintered over.
I found the added salt too much, given that the seeds were already salted, but the people I served it to liked it a lot (I tend to prefer less salt than most). I enjoyed the creaminess and crunch that the Saviseeds provided and am really intrigued by the peanutty quality of their flavor. A high omega-3 peanut?
Have you tried sacha inchi seeds?




Ela- first, good luck on Thursday! The event sounds fabulous. Wish I could enjoy your reading, but I will be out in the woods. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info on the savi seed. I might have to try them. The pesto looks beautiful and tasty.
Have a great performance!
I've tried most of Vega's products, but somehow never got around to the Saviseed. I was under the impression that they were a type of peanut. Interesting.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being a part of that festival. You must be excited :-)
I tried the caramel-flavored ones, and they were taaasty...almost in a "this must be junk food" way. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish i was nearby so I could come hear you recite. What a great experience. Hope it goes well.
ReplyDeleteI have been curious about sacha inchi seeds. They're probably out of my price range right now but I'm intrigued.
Thanks so much, kt--I hope you have a great time out in the woods.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Thanks, Shannonmarie--I was so excited and it was awesome, with a fairly major glitch that makes a funny story I will tell asap.
ReplyDeleteI think they call sacha inchi 'peruvian peanut.'
love
Ela
Amber, were those the 'karmalized' ones? I haven't tried mine yet, but I noticed that they have some cane sugar dusting and are roasted, so I could imagine they might taste like you describe!
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Thanks so much, Bitt--it was a great event, with one fairly major glitch that makes a funny story--I'll try to get a little post up tonight or in the morning and at least tell the story.
ReplyDeleteI think I saw when I googled sacha inchi seeds that one of the companies that sells them has a 'request a sample' link, so maybe you can get some to try that way.
love
Ela