| lunch in the park |
| blurry photo, captures it just right! |
This time, I went slow. I allowed my imagination to get to know the characters inhabiting the scenes from the showrooms a little better, and felt less like an intruder in their lives and thus more entitled to browse. I left with a few other useful items beside the kitchen cabinet, but dealing with the latter was what showed that I'd still gotten flustered enough to make a stupid mistake. It came in many pieces...
...and I'd been planning to ship it up to AK via the barge, which involves getting it to Fife, WA. I mailed the two heaviest pieces to Fife (just 70 miles away) parcel post, and Phil pointed out when I got home that it would have cost the same to mail them all the way home by that route!
To Antibiotic or Not?
Time is flying. It's been two weeks since I saw my Naturopath for a report on my yeastie-bugs retest: high time for a health update here. The good news: I'm no longer playing host to a candida convention. The not-so-good: I still have a residual bacterial infection in my gut and am still not growing my own good bacteria. I also have a slight overgrowth of another, non-candida yeast called Geotychum (apparently easy to get rid of). This being the situation, my ND wants me to take a week's course of tetracycline, an antibiotic, and then follow up with another month of ketoconazole, the antifungal, to get rid of the Geotychum and ensure that the antibiotic doesn't precipitate another yeast invasion. He said I didn't need to change my diet, and shouldn't start any of it until we get back from our trip. This gives me some time to ponder the plan.
I guess it makes sense: there are no good bacteria to wipe out and this antibiotic is effective against the bad bacteria, while the possible herbal approaches are far less so. The ketoconazole right after will mitigate any bad yeasty consequences. And thereafter, take loads of probiotics, and he recommends sauerkraut and miso in particular for recolonizing the good bacteria. I should also read up on inulin and the other starches that supposedly feed good bacteria: you can keep putting them in your gut, but in order to have them stay and reproduce, you need to feed them, right? On the other hand, I haven't taken antibiotics since I was a teenager and am loath to do so: they likely contributed to this mess in the first place. That said, there's a time and a place for everything, and perhaps using the drugs to create a 'clean slate' will enable me to move on and rebuild a good gut colony.
Some of it boils down to trusting my doctor too. I do, but I'm also experiencing some cognitive dissonance at the moment. The way I see it, ever since I started eating starch a few months ago, the more carbohydrate and the less of the other macronutrients I ate, the better I felt, the better my digestion was, I started being able to exercise again and even enjoying it, my anxiety is enormously reduced, my stamina is improved and generally I feel happier and healthier. I told my ND this and he said quite firmly that I should not reduce my fat intake; that I should aim for about equal quantities of each macronutrient. He suggested that I'm feeling so much better because my guts are in so much better shape than they were. I'm aware, as I think he is, of my tendency toward extremism. Perhaps it would be just like me to swing from carbophobia back to being essentially a fruitarian. But the timeline is so clear to me (I was still chelating when my guts started to be noticeably easier after a few weeks of starch, way before the yeast and bacteria cleanse).
I should wrap this up! Do you love Ikea? Do you build stories about the lives depicted there? What do you think about antibiotics?
I dislike the way Ikea is set up too. It's too much like a maze. I feel it's a time suck and unfair for those who want to just get in and get out.
ReplyDeleteI try to avoid antibiotics because I also had too many of them as a child and it contributed to problems. I have only had them recently when I've had pesky infections that don't go away. However I recently had an awful experience where I took 2 kinds that didn't work then had an awful reaction to the third one. And now my gut is a mess. So right now I'm pretty down on them but each body is different so I would never be one to advise on that. I do however agree with the ND who says to get an even amount of each macronutrient. I hope you trust him.
I actually love going to IKEA, maybe because I do so rarely. I have no qualms about idling away an afternoon in the maze.
ReplyDeleteI don't remember the last time I took antibiotics; thankfully I haven't been ill in years. I'm not sure what I would do if I was sick and a doctor recommended taking some. I am glad you are thinking things through.
I love pre-writing posts. It works so well with my schedule. If only I could do it from a library lawn though. ;)
ReplyDeleteI get scared of Ikea. It always overwhelms me any time I have gone.
bitt--thanks for your input. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with antibiotics recently. These are a pretty mild kind, apparently, so I'm hoping they do the trick.
ReplyDeleteInteresting that you agree on the balanced macros: I really appreciate you saying that, because I know that I can tend to sweep things off the table!
love
Ela
Thanks, kt--I wish I didn't have to think about this. But I'll make 'rebuilding gut flora' a big research project and that's a way to feel better about it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found a way to enjoy IKEA--I'm working toward that, and I think small doses helps!
love
Ela
Thanks, Tina--believe me, I don't get to prewrite from a library lawn often! But it was lovely that time.
ReplyDeleteI think that if you have _plenty of time_ and good filters not to get too tripped out by all the implied characters, Ikea could be quite fun after all. They have childcare, too--but I think for a restricted range of ages/heights.
love
Ela