I'll get to that in a moment. First, I want to talk about a very uncomfortable conversation I had with Phil yesterday, partly as a confession of my stupidity for initiating a potentially triggering conversation in the first place, partly to illustrate how words can evoke staggeringly different images in different people, and partly to explore the concept that a person really could be 'size blind'--could walk around looking at people without constantly tickering about relative sizes: a revolutionary concept in my little head.
Phil and I had had an interaction with a woman we hadn't met before. I noticed how her bottom came out in a pleasing round curve below her belt. I'd also, of course, meticulously calibrated that this person was built and proportioned on a significantly larger scale than myself, so I wasn't thinking of myself at all, merely curious, when I asked Phil later on whether she would be considered to have a 'nice butt.' Phil said yes, she would and, after a moment, said, "Actually, not unlike yours." Shocked and horrified, I qualified "But way bigger than mine, right?" "I don't know, I didn't notice her size," was Phil's response.
Obviously, I was traumatized and devastated and felt betrayed and all the other over-the-top responses. I was also furious with myself for laying myself open to a comparison that I found unbearable, even though that hadn't been my intention. Thankfully, I managed to pull myself out of a huge downward self-image spiral by checking in with myself and remembering that I could trust my own evaluation of our respective sizes.
When we were able to talk about it, Phil said he'd thought he was paying me a compliment. She had a nice butt, so did I: that's all there was to it. And he insisted that he doesn't notice people's different sizes and that that simply wasn't part of his comparison. Rather than try to catch him in a lie by recalling times when he has commented on people's sizes, I tried to imagine how that could be. Could it really be possible to walk around and just see people as people, see beauty as beauty, without constantly labeling 'big,' 'average,' 'small' and, specifically 'bigger than me,' 'smaller (horrors!) than me'? I realize that I allow that kind of keeping track to seep into all my experiences, unconsciously, and almost always, it reinforces my feeling badly about my body.
The truth is, I'm doing so much exercise and becoming so much stronger, and it's a gift to be able to do things that I want to do!
Whew--thanks for bearing with me on that!
On to something lighter--I was talking last time about how frequently my recipe ideas don't come to be. But sometimes, I just have to make something! I wanted to make a pad thai-type salad, light, spicy and wonderfully textured, with some kelp noodles
...that jicama, some carrots, some early greens from our garden. Here's how it looked undressed.
I ended up using the whole 12oz package of kelp noodles because I made so much dressing. I soaked the noodles in warm water for a few minutes before mixing them with the veggies.
Otherwise, there was:
2 julienned carrots
about half a medium jicama, julienned
3 cups mixed greens, coarsely chiffonaded
some snipped chives
5-6 basil leaves (from our windowsill), chiffonaded
One chopped roma tomato.
For the dressing,
3/4 cup of water (or coconut water, or pickle juice, or...--I used a lot of lime juice, and it was too much with the tamarind)
a thumb-sized piece of tamarind paste
1 tablespoon miso
2 small cloves garlic
a half-inch piece of ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon red thai curry paste
2 tablespoons coconut kefir cream (homemade, can sub any raw nut-based (or other) sour cream)
1 tablespoon tahini
1/2 cup mango
a quarter of an avocado
Blend and taste, adjust seasonings (tamarind is quite sour, and depending on how sweet your mango is, you might need to add a date or a pinch of stevia).
Mix into the 'slaw. I was taking this for our weekly dinner date with Phil's daughter and her partner, and it was great that it had some time to sit (and ride in the truck) before being eaten: the texture of the kelp noodles softened up and was just wonderful.
I had some sea spaghetti courtesy of Joanna ready to go in there too...
...but I figured that what I was offering was weird enough to their palates and experience without such a blatantly ocean-tasting component, so I left it out of the main bowl and added it to the leftovers I ate the next day. I figured it was a good sign that there wasn't a great deal left over! It was so yummy, even if it was an 'unusual' thing for Phil and the rest of them. Thanks for bearing with me, guys! It's a very different world here from back when I used to go to raw food potlucks all the time, and pretty much any weird thing I came up with would taste great to most, and everybody would at least be willing to try. Macaroni salad this wasn't! Cole slaw this wasn't!
If you like the ocean taste, by all means add it to this: It's a different flavor and texture, but it's really good in its own way.
Coming up next, it's the time of the rhubarb!
I've been playing around and trying a few things out that I'd like to share soon.
I hope you try the 'Slaw and enjoy it. Can we be 'size blind'?





Well, this was an interesting read for me, Ela. Of course, I do get caught up in comparisons with others, but I have to say I had a hard time following what you shared here. Although you mentioned this gal had a pleasing curve under her belt, I'm assuming from your reaction to Phil's comment that you think she is actually overweight? When I read Phil's comment "actually, not unlike yours" the quick thought was "oh, that's a nice compliment from a partner". You had asked him if the woman had what would be considered a "nice butt", which is a positive. I couldn't make the leap from his comments to "shocked and horrified". When you went on to say "obviously, I was traumatized and devastated", I thought "gosh, no, that wasn't obvious to me at all". Now, if you had said "was she a wide-ass, or what?" (and I can't really imagine you saying that, but just for comparison), and he said, "yes, and so are you" I could get the shocked, horrified reaction totally. I'm inclined to believe Phil without reservation: he was complimenting you. We all have our sensitivities, definitely, but I thought I would just share my objective reaction here. On to the Pad Thai salad - it looks wonderful to me - I will have to try it soon. How fortunate your family is getting to experience new stuff, instead of always the same-old, same-old :) There's something to be said for that.
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks Mindy--thanks for reflecting back to me so swiftly and honestly.
ReplyDeleteI guess I am uncomfortable posting about 'body image issues,' and am trying to find my way to talk about it more. And so I didn't provide enough background. I didn't mention up-front that (even though nowadays I'm a 'normal size,' my brain is still obsessed with 'being smaller than' whoever I'm comparing myself to. I loathe that my breasts are not tiny, even though my husband enjoys them. 'A nice butt' as in a round butt is a horrifying idea to me: I'd like mine to be just pretty much straight down.
All that said, no, this woman wasn't overweight by any stretch: just fuller-figured. I'm on the petite side and she was definitely both taller and broader than me. Yes, poor Phil! But the idea of being blind to comparative sizes of people was definitely intriguing to me.
I hope you try the pad thai slaw--and thanks for that perspective on folks getting to try new things!
love
Ela
Oh, yes. Body image issues abound in our crazy culture. I listened to a show on female body image a while back, specifically addressing the female desire to be thin and "perfect", and they particularly highlighted the difference between different cultures/races etc. They interviewed a young African American guy who, in response to whether he recognizes when a woman is overweight said something like: "she has to be REEEAAALL Fat for me to notice anything". Maybe with someone like Phil, it's more a matter of a different degree of deviation for him to take note. It might also just come down to how preoccupied we are at the time with other issues. It is interesting. Anyway, I love your honesty and willingness to share yourself - keep going for it! I'm glad you get I was just reflecting back, I don't want you to be discouraged to keep going. Love to you, too - and have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteHey Mindy,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you saw my note back--I'm never quite sure if they get seen. Yes, the fact that I survived an extremely serious eating disorder is not something I'm hugely proud of (or even something I'm comfortable talking about) but I'm realizing more and more that it's something I _should_ talk about--I might be able to help someone some day.
Your first comment was a wonderful lesson to me as a writer about clarity and getting out of one's own way, so I really appreciate that (and will probably talk about it in a future post, a follow-up to my 'blog identity' post a little while back.
That's fascinating about the different perspectives that people have in different cultures. I know that for my family in Israel, being fat is not desirable, but neither is being very thin (my grandma was always bothered that I was too thin).
You're right about Phil, too: he tends to notice body types mostly when he's looking at people running--back to his coaching days, I guess.
And to the contrary: your comment didn't discourage me at all, in fact, it showed me that it would be good to be _more_ explicit and clear.
Happy 4th!
love
Ela
What I wouldn't give to be "size blind"...I can relate to you on that.
ReplyDeleteHi Ela, thanks for sharing this. I discovered your blog recently and I haven't read through all your archives, but from what little I've gleaned, we're in similar places of having returned to a semi-normal weight after long bouts with anorexia. I do think I have several more years of recovery under my belt, but doesn't mean I don't relate to everything you're thinking and writing.
ReplyDeleteYour latest post resonated with me because I've just finished processing a similar interaction with a male friend over body type. This guy is not a lover (though he'd like to change that, and from time to time makes it clear in a way that makes me uncomfortable - bottom line: he thinks I like him but just haven't realized it yet).
Anyway, I've been underweight - sometimes more, sometimes less, but always off the charts - almost as long as I've been sexually active. Most of my boyfriends have been attracted to me, but at the same time, they've all (well, most of them) tried to fatten me up. And for some reason, I've liked that.
There was one (nightmarish) exception. He was so into my thinness - it took me some time to realize his "desire" was rooted in his narcissism. I was attractive to him because I was "rare." Needless to say, I extricated myself from that relationship, but the end result is that now I am suspicious whenever a guy seems too into my body (still a very slender one).
So, this weekend, what happened is that this guy (the one I've mentioned above) put his usual (once every six or so months) moves on, and I rebuffed him as usual, blah, blah, blah.
I asked him why on earth he was being so persistent when we could clearly never be partners (we are politically "simpatico" hence the friendship but otherwise as different as night and day) and he said he couldn't help it, he loved my body. So all these inner warning lights went on and I said, "but I'm too thin ..." and he said that he was inclined to agree with some duke somewhere who said a woman can never be too rich or too thin. So I said, "trust me, I can be too thin." And then I said, "In fact, I am quite sure I need to gain ten pounds right now."
So - here's the clincher - he proceeds to tell me that I am "perfect" right now and I should absolutely not gain even an ounce!!!!
Funny how - recovered as we may be - the most innocuous statements can trigger our unhealthiest inner thoughts.
Since this is literally JUST a friend (and not even a "friend" - more of an on again off again aquaintance) I didn't push him. But it's funny how upset I was by the conversation. Not upset enought to starve myself (I'm really beyond that) but definitely upset enough to wonder if I was a little closer to "normal" weight than I wanted to be.
Oh, Ela, my poor husband has also unknowingly said things that have thrown me into a tailspin- usually corresponding with an upswing in my monthly hormones. Thank you for sharing your personal story- I am so impressed with your honesty and bravery.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised by your post because I thought that all ladies wanted a round behind. :)
PS: The recipe looks amazing, and pretty easy! I will be excited to try it when I get home.
Hey Amber,
ReplyDeleteThanks for understanding! I guess it makes us good at eyeballing ingredient amounts, though?!
love
Ela
Hey Anonymous,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing your thoughts and stories, and for getting in touch.
Yes, I didn't die of anorexia and am still figuring out how to make that survival into something of help to others. I guess I'm just beginning to find a comfort level for sharing about it on here. I'd say I'm barely underweight at this point, though (one of the horribly sadistic diet experiments I did was a 'gain as much weight as possible because it helps you detox' experiment (I got temporarily brainwashed). I got as big as 'larger side of average' for a little while, had a major relapse and blew out my thyroid. Thankfully, it seems to be coming back now.
That's a really interesting story about your process with your male friend-but-not-more-than-friend.
I share your experience of 'liking it' when partners are concerned at the same time as attracted, and like you, I'm not altogether comfortable with that, as I feel it keeps me in the condition of 'identified patient.' And I was similarly freaked out when it seemed like a boyfriend was actually getting off on my over-thinness.
I'm glad that you distanced yourself from both those guys, the recent and the previous. I can't believe someone still seriously says that 'never too rich or too thin' line. So messed up! What I hate too, is that you think you're so 'recovered' and then a statement like that, or a comment about someone else's thinness in your/my presence, can precipitate such a tailspin.
Good luck to us!
love
Ela
Thanks so much, kt--and that's such a good point: it's around that time of the month for me too!
ReplyDeleteI hope you do get to try that recipe: it was really easy and yummy enough to share with meat'n'potato salad-type folks!
love
Ela
Glad youliked the spag.! Rfw is selling it wholesale during the mo. Of july i think... and i will now stop commenting as this sentence looks awful! But Frankhas been sleeping for more than an hour so im not complaining!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got some self-time with Franklin napping! Thanks again for the spag: I'm planning on trying a couple more things with it and blogging about it, so will keep you posted!
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
I have the same tendency to do automatic size comparisons to the women around me, which is compounded by my distorted body image.
ReplyDeleteAs for being size-blind, my mother professed to not look at me that way (to notice how much I weighed). I believe her, but it's frustrating, because while on the one hand she doesn't look at me and say "Wow, you've gained a lot," she also didn't notice when I was underweight (and almost everyone else had noticed).
So I do think some people are size-blind, but it's a really double-edged sword. But so is that constant comparison. Can we find a middle ground -- perhaps not size-BLIND, but size-NEUTRAL?
Runningrecovery: welcome, and thanks for commenting! Yes, good point that having distorted body image compounds those comparisons. Good point too about people not noticing sometimes being a problem. I like your suggestion of size-neutral.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
one thing I've learned is to not really ask men (or partners) their opinions of other women's bodies or ask them to pick apart yours. i think it puts them in an awkward situation and nothing usually good comes of it! from my experience.
ReplyDeletephil seems like he loves you unconditionally and that is amazing. enjoy it! it's a blessing not all of the world gets. :-)
bitt--I think this is true wisdom. Yes, I feel incredibly lucky for the connection that Phil and I share, and for his unconditional love. I wish that everyone could have that.
ReplyDelete