Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fall Colors and Red Salmon (Mostly Pictures)

I promised some gorgeous pictures from our trip to Anchorage: it's the color-harvesting time, stunning last hurrahs. So interesting too how the season is farther advanced closer to Anchorage, with lots of little climate pockets. The berries on our mountain ash trees here are just barely turning red. They're fully red on this one in town, with wonderful tricolor foliage too.
 'Termination dust' again, and yellowing birches lower down.
 It rained inches in those days but you can see a pocket of sunlight in those mountains.
 The birches and aspens are turning, making carpets, patchworking their yellows with the dark green of the spruces...
 ...like so, crowding to the highway and up the mountains as far as they can reach.
 Sometimes it could look quite gloomy.
 Other times, it was just color, threaded with cloud.
 All that red high up in the mountains, and you can see the streams just torrenting down--there was so much water everywhere!
 Similar basic colors on these dusters at the Habitat for Humanity store in Anchorage. They made me smile and I enjoyed their fluffiness.
 Phil inherited some large (30.06) bullets. I thought those red tips on them made them look like some sort of make-up...
 ...and he obligingly showed one off as such!
 Probably the most astonishing sight was yielded in one of the various places we stopped, looking for those lingonberries. This is Hidden Lake, and those are red salmon in their full spawning regalia.
 They were so close to the boat-launch!
 So many of them, and so big--every once in a while, the whole surface of the lake would whip and writhe with them.
 I felt humbled by the opportunity to see them, doing their own exuberant thing with nobody to interfere.
Happy Equinox!

6 comments:

  1. Haha, bullet-shaped lipstick tubes...I think you've got an idea there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Equinox to you, too. I think you celebrated with the perfect opening photo. Gorgeous fall foliage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will live out autumn early vicariously through you. It's the first year of my life that I can't wait for it to come! It's still so hot here and fall can't come soon enough for me.

    Love the salmon pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber--I wouldn't even know where to go with it, but it's pretty funny, especially when Phil does the pose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Shannonmarie--yes, the colors are stunning up here right now and it's definitely right to savor them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bitt--I wish I could trade you some of the cool weather here for some of the warmth you have there.

    Those fish were just incredible--I've never seen them quite like that before.

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!