Aside from the fact that I was going off track so much with too much work and too little writing (and too little anything else) last week, tomorrow is my birthday. I'm sure I've mentioned here before that in some ways, I think a person's birthday is more important than New Year's day as an opportunity to evaluate, set intentions, and generally take stock. I'll be doing more of that tomorrow, but on my "50 first weeks" Monday, I'm feeling such a sense of gratitude and validation. Writer friends have contacted me with good wishes, poems, and spot-on writerly advice. Another friend nudged me for the recipe for something I made in a crazed between-grading dash that really is worth sharing--here too. And I feel flattered that Phil wants my company, too.
Since Phil was out for breakfast with a friend this morning, instead of fixing breakfast I did some pre-prep for "tomorrow" goodies. This little hand-crank wheatgrass juicer is all the juicer I have, which might explain why this is the first time I've used it in over two years.
Now, I eat a lot a lot of carrots, but the amount of carrots it took to produce that scant cup of carrot juice is about as many as I eat in three or four days--and they're a significant part of my intake. Scary. Also, not the most efficient juicer.
Last time I pulled the juicer out, two years ago, was for the carrot pulp, to make these:
I loved them so much, I thought I should never make them again. This time, I cut them really small! This time, I also need the juice for another creation I'm planning. More on both in my next post! Some nostalgia for Hawaii, too--I got the juicer from a dear friend in HI whom I miss, and I used it regularly to make coconut cream. Of course, I always made goodies (including carrot cake sometimes!) with the pulp from the coconut cream making. At that stage of my life, there was always coconut cream and ginger juice in the fridge, courtesy of that little juicer.
A few minutes after the picture at the top of the post... Thanks, everyone!




Happy birthday lovely lady! I think you look great in that pic. Love the lighting, too!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if my carrot cake had you craving your carrot treats. I actually very finely grated the carrot with a microplane instead of using the pulp. I needed less carrot to make it, and it has a stronger carrot flavor. Just a thought to save you from juicing so many carrots again :-)
Thanks, Shannonmarie!
DeleteI loved your carrot cake, but I think every treat I've made recently has had carrots in it too ;)
What a great idea to microplane the carrots! I love that tip. This time, though, I needed the carrot juice for the carrot cake (recipe in following post).
love
Ela
Ela, I don't think that is a "frightful pic" of you. When I saw it, I felt your face had an aboriginal look about it - a look of wisdom - as if you became an embodiment for others that lived in that region in days gone past and gazed on similar sunsets. Profoundly beautiful image all around. So glad you are feeling back on track, and starting to do more of what you love and give more time to your loved ones and yourself.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever made wheat grass juice with your juicer? It's supposed to be such a profound healing tonic. I didn't think I would ever try it, since I have celiac. A book I read by an "expert" on celiac said there was concern about contamination with the hulls, even though the grass itself has no gluten. Then I saw a container of wheat grass at my local WF and brought it home and juiced it with my juicer (an omega 8003 - single auger). I did see a few hulls clinging to the grass, which of course I removed and washed the grass off. I tasted a small amount straight with some trepidation, wondering if I would experience the "gag reflex" or nausea I've heard so much about. I did fine. Only drank about a tablespoon as a trial. No gagging. Then I mixed it with my regular green juice. I now plan to start growing it on my own, with supplies from Sproutpeople website. A new adventure! Sproutpeople also sell organic spelt and kamut hulls - think I may try those too.
Thanks so much, Mindy--Phil really didn't think it was a good pic, but that's a nice take on it.
DeleteI've never tried juicing wheatgrass--funny, considering it's a wheatgrass juicer, huh? But I have celiac too, so I'm kinda scared of it. OTOH I've had a shot of wheatgrass once (I think just once) with no trouble, and have had wg powder too, although now I think about it, I haven't touched my wg powder in about a year and associate it with some distress...
But I keep thinking about trying to grow "quinoa grass" or something similar! Love the idea of your new project.
love
Ela
You look cold in the picture, but super brave. Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteGlad you brought out the juice again, I can understand how it would be cumbersome.
"I loved them so much, I thought I should never make them again" I hope you know you deserve it and glad you made them again.
Ooh yes I was cold!
DeleteThanks for cheering on the treat-making!
love
Ela
Happy early b-day, Ela! Have a wonderful day and week. <3
ReplyDeleteA belated thank you for your early happy b-day! ;)
Deletelove
Ela
Happy Birthday and thank you for a lovely post!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Anastasia!
Delete