Friday, March 25, 2011

The Freedom to Sway, Wilderness Trip, Cabin Remodel Plans!

I've mentioned a few different times on here that one of my flaws is a tendency to be, as Shakespeare puts it, 'a vane blown with all winds.' It's very easy for me to see others' points of view, and I haven't always had the conviction of my own path necessary to stick to it despite everything. Right now, though, I'm stretching into a delicious sense of freedom: a feeling that I can move with different winds and currents, but that I'm not obliged to do so.

Instead of feeling boggled with confusion about all my nutritional research, I'm feeling empowered to sanction all kinds of different choices, because there are so many choices that have something (or someone) to recommend them. When I'm through with this yeast cleanse, I can choose to enjoy fruit and higher glycemic veggies rather than demonizing them or feeling pinned to the glycemic mandate, since I've had such positive experiences with yams, fruit, etc, in my own body. I also recognize that stressing about it is more poisonous than any trans fat (really???) and that realization is helping me to feel more relaxed.

I can feel stressed and imperiled when rushing to catch the tide with Phil's perilous little boat, and often do--but I can explore other ways to feel too: exhilarated, curious, interested. And when it's way too cold out there in the wilderness? If I move around as much as I can, and focus on how beautiful it is and how pleasant without mosquitoes yet, then I needn't be miserably cold. And what about when we run up against a seemingly intractable problem of large objects in a small space?

Well, we've been doing some serious thinking since I reported our shock at the size of the new fridge. Change is in the air, and the current plan is to convert our little side room into a kitchen!
our side room in its current chaos
 This little room is how we coped with such a tiny fridge for so long: for most of the winter, we don't heat it and most of the produce is on the floor in there. It's the 'under the rug' room--if we have company or are trying to tidy up, all the mess tends to end up in there. Also, it's our clothes storage. So, making it into a kitchen will be a big change: we'll have to heat it instead of keeping it chilly, we'll have to move all our clothes out, move the fridge in (not a small endeavor!), put in a counter... There are pros and cons, of course, to having the food prep area divorced from the social area, and I had some misgivings about taking over the spare room so thoroughly--if it's going to be the kitchen, sorry Phil: it's going to be mine!

On the other hand, if I'm going to be commissioned to make more cakes, as I was this one for a 70th birthday party...
coconut-lime cheesecake, raw, no-sugar

...then having more of a kitchen space seems smart. And not having food in the main room (where the storage for it is quite awkward) will free up a lot of space and ultimately help with decluttering.

It's an upheaval, but it's an exciting one and I am looking forward to seeing how the energy moves.

There were big low tides this week after the huge full moon, and we went across to China Poot Bay in Phil's tiny zodiac.
 It is so beautiful over there. Cold, but you dress up well and bounce around. It must be an uncomfortable place in the winter: it's opposite the bay from us, which means that it's oriented to face north: there must be no sunlight there at all!

This is a beautiful carpet of sea veggies. My ND suggested that the best way to protect one's thyroid from radiation exposure is to harvest one's own kelp and eat it fresh. He says that since Chernobyl (and who knows how the Fukushima event has exacerbated this) all above-ground sources of iodine are radioactive, and that even iodine sourced from under-sea will become radioactive within three months. So, harvesting kelp that's washed up recently and eating it soon sounds like a fine idea.
 Phil gets clams and mussels: I'll be happy to get the greenery (and reddery)!

Have a beautiful weekend! Are you a vane blown with all winds, or can you choose whether to sway?

8 comments:

  1. Nice little post as always Ela. How exciting about your kitchen plans. It all makes perfect sense to me, given your commitment to prepping your own healthy food (regardless of what the latest incarnation of "healthy" means for you). I mean,it's not like you are just cooking boxed mac and cheese on a hot plate! I predict you will be in heaven in your own little kitchen. I can picture you there now. :) You can always install extra storage space where your stove and fridge currently are. Maybe put an old-fashioned armoire in there for your clothes. All sounds like a fine plan. :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coconut Lime cheesecake! Looks amazing!!!I bet it was delish!
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you mention the freedom to sway. I've always been a control freak, but I'm slowly learning how liberating letting go can be.

    I think the kitchen plan sounds like a smart idea- especially with the amazing desserts you've been whipping out. That cheesecake is gorgeous.

    China Poot: what does that name mean? Did you harvest any kelp? Do you eat it raw? Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to hear that you are becoming more relaxed. Stress can be worse than some of our food choices. I'm trying to do the same.

    Nice cheesecake. You are the queen of sugar-free raw treats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mindy--I hope you're having a great weekend too! I love your point about the different incarnations of what counts as 'healthy food'--with the extra twist of what's good for me and what's good for Phil...

    It's going to be a lot of work, but I think it'll be fun and worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kt:
    China Poot--a Chinese guy bought that piece of land many years ago: his name was Poot (or that's what the locals thought it sounded like) and so the whole bay is named 'China Poot' because he was Chinese! Logical, right?

    I haven't harvested any kelp yet, but I definitely intend to, next time we go out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all the cheesecake compliments: Shannonmarie, I love the idea of being that kind of queen!

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!