Whirled peas, whirled peas... the vortex is supposed to be so good for you--restructuring your aura, blending down to tiny particles and huge surface areas...
...Seriously, though, I've been loving my smoothies with frozen peas to replace the blueberries during this lenten (unleavened?) yeast cleanse, and a little bee pollen sprinkled on top. And this is a calm, placid (post-whirling) shot before all the photos of cabin chaos to come!
Whirled peas smoothie:
1 cup coconut milk
piece of fresh ginger
good-sized hunk of irish moss gel
green powders, maca
protein powder (pea or hemp)
a small carrot or piece of cucumber (or both)
little piece of avocado
little chunk of coconut oil
1 cup frozen peas
sprinkle of stevia
blend in Vita, dust with pollen ad lib. Don't you love my precise quantities?
Now for the chaos.
We took the old fridge out from its position right next to the propane stove _and_ the heater--a position that had always irked me from the energy efficiency perspective. It was quite clear that the new guy would not fit in that little slot.
Would it even fit through the door?
Just barely... But in order to have a place to put it inside, we took out the futon, which has always been the centerpiece of the cabin, taking up the breadth of it...Here's Phil mocking up where the futon used to be. Underneath it was great storage space too...
And they all lived happily ever after? Or not. Here's Phil's beautiful daughter sporting her new haircut, with the fridge installed in the background, giving some idea of its size.
Although it's well-designed and enormously roomy, in hindsight we're feeling as though this decision was more a case of "look before you leap" than of "leap and the net will appear." It's much quieter than our old and busted fridge, but it isn't as quiet as we'd hoped, and it's bigger than we'd comprehended. Walking through the cabin without constantly having to circumnavigate the futon is pleasant, but now we have nowhere comfy to sit, nowhere convenient for Phil to nap. And the luxury of the space opened up makes deciding to get another, smaller couch something of a tussle--and what can we find that will fit anyway?
So far, the biggest 'win' is that we're sleeping on the futon mattress, and our backs were suffering from our former 'bed' of camping pads topped with a foam topper(!) For the rest, we'll need to employ some of that 20-20 hindsight and figure out what to do. I feel a little embarrassed and culpable, as I didn't participate much in the whole decision/purchase, but had been saying for a long time that I wanted a bigger and more energy-efficient refrigerator.
Off to ponder--I'll leave you with some wildlife. This young moose had found a sunny south-facing wall to rest beside, getting some warmth out of the pale sun.
I saw several dogs pass close by but none of them went to disturb her.
And these snowshoe hares who are getting fat and legion killing all the trees they can get close to are just shameless! I snapped this one at twilight right on the edge of the highway, eating a fallen spruce, and there were four or five others with it! They didn't run away when I passed--just stood up and posed. They did skedaddle when the camera flashed, but returned almost immediately.
Have you ever made a large purchase without comprehending its full implications and then had second thoughts?








Oh my I can't believe you were sleeping on a camp mat! I'm glad the futon is helping your back. I think futons are comfy.
ReplyDeleteCould you not find a small fridge? I have noticed sometimes things are more expensive to be smaller. Annoying! Hope you can make it work.
Ela, how about trying out this little couch here. http://www.bodyfriendlyfurniture.com/platformcouch.html Everything on this site is very eco-friendly, chemical-free, and specifically designed for small-space living. A lot of the furnishings break down with no tools. There is a really cool little standing desk. Explore the site and you will see.
ReplyDeleteWow- that fridge is huge! Is the mini fridge in the first picture the only one you had before? What a difference.
ReplyDeleteI can't remember the last time I had buyer's remorse- but living in a small space I can see how unnerving a new appliance of that size might be.
I still don't know if I could do peas in a smoothie. Maybe if I added fruit.
Love the smoothie. We just moved from Ca to NV and had to leave our huge fridge behind- now have a much smaller borrowed fridge. Need to get something bigger more suitable for our family.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet
Bitt--yes, we are so pleased that our backs are responding well to this. Funny to have to replace a fridge to get a decent bed arrangement!
ReplyDeleteI wanted a bigger fridge (we had a tiny, crappy one) and now we're flexing our creative muscles to see how to make it work.
love
Ela
Thanks so much for the tip, Mindy--I'll definitely check it out. I love things that are modular, storage as well as comfy, etc.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
kt--peas are really good in the smoothie, honestly! I don't know that they would be as good in a standard blender...
ReplyDeleteWe're working through the remorse possibility and figuring out how to make it all better: it's a very interesting and empowering thought-world and I'll post about it tomorrow.
love
Ela
Thanks, Debra--I hope that you can find a good fridge. We can get away with no fridge or very little fridge quite often because it's so cold up here, but you totally need one down in NV!
ReplyDeletelove
Ela