Phil is out bear-hunting (giardia notwithstanding: his level of activity that can count as 'resting' is always astounding) so I'll be biking out to the Conference venue in a little while here. I couldn't even have considered doing that this time last year, so I'm taking a moment to be glad of that: it makes our scheduling differences much more flexible.
Well, I'm holding out on you--I have to tell the story of the Poetry event on Thursday night: specifically, how I stole the show in the first set, but not through my poetry reading!
![]() |
| thanks to Terry for this phone shot |
Why does this matter? Well, in the first set, very beginning of the show, there were five of us reading, and we made our entries from the top of the stairs, one at a time, until we were all standing there ranged on the stairs (the pic is from a different set). So, I started down the stairs as the second reader--and my foot slipped on the very first step, and down I went, and down, and down, and down, knocking the vases down like bowling pins or dominoes crash-crash-clatter. I had hold of the banister with my right hand and was trying to stop myself, but I had my butt kicked by ten steps before I finally came to a stop half way down, a cascade of vases rolling around the audience at the bottom.
And then I had to pick myself up, read my three poems and stand there for the rest of the set with a straight face! My one regret is that I didn't have a funny one-liner to defuse the tension of the moment when the crashing stopped--everyone looked so horrified, and I'm sure I did too: didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm just so glad that none of the artwork broke. As it was, I took a few deep breaths, and just went on and read as if nothing had happened.
I'm fine. My right biceps is super-sore from trying to catch myself all those moments and I have a giant bruise on my butt shaped exactly like the edge of a step. But I've still been doing pushups and working out with no trouble. And I'm still laughing about that fall--that night, after the show, Phil and I practically cried ourselves to sleep laughing about it together.
Before the open mic at the Writers' Conference yesterday, I had the opportunity to share that story with some other open mic participants under the general discussion of 'what's the worst that could happen?' A good share.
Do you ever think of a disaster or accident as a great story in the making? Are you good at coming up with a funny one-liner when something totally unexpected and apparently catastrophic just happened?

I can't believe that happened. I'm glad you're only dealing with a few bruises and a bit of embarrassment. Good for you for getting up and carrying on! I can't think of any moments quite like that. I love that you've already turned it around and shared it as a lesson learned.
ReplyDeleteOne liners aren't really my specialty. :)
Ela- that is an insane story! I so admire your take on the event; I love that you and Phil laughed it off. You are so brave.
ReplyDeleteI am terrible at one liners, and always get mad at myself when I think of something funny after the fact.
I hope your rear isn't too sore for biking. Enjoy the conference!
Oh no! I would've been mortified! I really admire you for turning a situation like that into a humorous memory.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Lisa--I've heard quite a few people say that one-liners would be hard to do in that situation and it's so reassuring.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Thanks, kt--I'm still laughing about it actually! Kudos to my mom--I finally told her about it on the phone yesterday and we laughed about it together (although she admitted that she's really glad she wasn't there).
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Thanks, Amber--I guess I really knew it wasn't my fault, so I couldn't be too mortified...And it _was_ funny really...
ReplyDeletelove
Ela