Phil and Tom flew home yesterday, two days earlier than expected: it's good to have them back. Phil and I then drove to Anchorage this morning for appointments and errands, through yet another blizzard. This is a brief post from a friend's computer, but I'll share some pictures of Alaska's monochrome wintry majesty when we get back home. Snow berms above my head in town here, but there's rain in the forecast: February bringing some warmer weather after weeks in single digits or below zero.
Today, I want to share a recipe that's a keeper. It's a dehydrated apricot and carob chip bar, somewhere between an energy bar and a blondie--but of course it has carrots in it, too! It's inspired by several recipes I've looked at or made at one time or another, by my recent experiments in carob chocolate making, and my current appreciation of dried apricots. In Israel, dried apricots and bright orange apricot fruit leather are staples. I always hated them. Then, one day, someone persuaded me to try an unsulphured dried apricot--brown, like a date, not that pretty bright orange (which wasn't pretty to me, even orange food lover that I am, because it tasted so bad to me). And those "real" dried apricots are just delicious, were just a revelation.
OK--quickly, I said! How about that recipe?
Carob Chip-Apricot Bars (gluten free, vegan, soy free, low sugar)
Mix together dry ingredients:
1 cup amaranth flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour (I ground both freshly in the Vitamix)
1/2 cup potato starch (not flour; can use tapioca or arrowroot starch instead)
1/2 cup erythritol
1 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup flax meal
1 tb cinnamon
1/2 t salt
Blend together wet ingredients (best done in a blender, but doesn't have to be a Vitamix):
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup irish moss gel
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and gradually add water, up to about 1/2 cup, until a stiff dough forms.
Stir in
1 cup homemade carob chocolate, cut into chunks (Of course you can use chocolate chips instead, but my good angel is trying to keep me off the chocolate that feeds the bad angel.)
1 cup chopped dried unsulphured apricots
Spread the batter out on a teflex sheet uniformly, about a half inch thick. Dehydrate at 145 for an hour, then turn down to 115. After 2-3 hours, you should be able to flip the whole thing and cut into bars. It's then up to your taste whether to dehydrate until it's dry and firm or to leave some moisture.You could probably bake this too, at 325 for about an hour, maybe also flipping halfway through. I haven't tried that, so it's a guess.
Either way, these are delicious. Some might prefer them sweeter, easily accomplished with more maple syrup and erythritol, but I enjoy that the basic crumb (with its lovely texture from even that small amount of coconut oil) is not super-sweet, highlighting the sweetness of the apricot and carob moments. And the chunky crunch of the carob pieces and the gooey tang of the apricots are great too. Not being super-sweet, these are also very satisfying.
Another backyard shot. I love watching those gyres of sea ice floating out toward the icebergs.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!




I do like a good unsulfered apricot once in awhile, they are lovely to make water keifer with. this treat looks so lovely and decadent. so glad phil is home with you again.
ReplyDeletethanks, bitt--funny, I wouldn't have described them as 'decadent' because they're really not that sweet. But they are so good. Good reminder about the water kefir--I need to make some again!
Deletelove
Ela
These sound great! You had me at "blondie," even if they're not at all traditional.
ReplyDeleteI just made carob chip cookies tonight myself, albeit of a totally different kind. Sometimes I forget how much I like carob.
PS - Cerulean was my favorite word when I was a kid. :)
Thanks, Amber, and smiles on "cerulean"--it's a keeper word for sure. Carob's definitely a keeper too, and of course I thought of you when I typed the word "blondie."
Deletelove
Ela
Ela, just read this post, and I sure hope you made it home before this: http://news.yahoo.com/avalanche-closes-sole-highway-anchorage-220424454.html You didn't mention if your trip was a one-day jaunt or if you would be spending the night. Stay safe! Looks like it will best to hunker down for a bit.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mindy--you are so sweet to think of us! We did stay Wednesday night, but just got home after what we knew would be a fairly "adventurous" drive. We were stopped for about an hour as they cleared one avalanche and let off howitzers to pre-empt another. Really it wasn't that bad all in all, and there was even a little daylight left when we got home to knee-deep snow!
DeleteMuch better than a couple years ago when we were stuck on the highway, not very well prepared, for _six_ hours while they cleared an avalanche...
love
Ela