It's been a while since I've shared pictures of the stunning edge on which we live, so I'm going to put that right today, having remembered my camera when I hiked yesterday. Phil gets back tomorrow afternoon, and will find himself accelerating seasons from the mid-harvest Fall of Oregon to nigh-winter here. It's been freezing hard every night, and the grasses at the bottom of the bluff just above beach gravel are autumn-colored and falling over.
Isn't it all a big process of rearrangement? A different side of the earth's face is kissed by the sun, different currents become prominent here.
I've been thinking of this "rearranging," speaking of how we're all connected, as I start preparing to teach the Linguistics course next term. When I look to see how others do it, many of the best sites online belong to people who were my classmates in grad school. They did what they were 'supposed to do' with their education, and have been excellent professors at prominent schools for some years already. Meanwhile, I muddle along--but here I am, rearranging some of the same material in a different place, with different goals, for different students.
And rearranging has been on my brain in a more literal sense too: I've been trying to get as many organizational projects as possible straightened out and sustainable during Phil's absence.
So, yesterday morning, our bed looked like this (after I'd wriggled out of it, of course!)
The bookshelf along my side of the bed in the loft had been overloaded in haphazard and book-breaking fashion...
...and when our incredibly kind and generous friend Tom made us these cubes to be footstools/storage space to go with our armchairs...
...it liberated these IKEA cubes that we'd been using for that purpose (not ideal, as they're not very stable)...
...which had in turn been liberated from pantry duty, because they're really not much good for that, either.
Well, they're also not ideal bookshelves, but by sunrise yesterday morning, my bedside area looked so much more sane!
It is a great lesson for me that having stuff organized can make such a difference, can be a weight off the ambient energy, can help me see things anew. This has been on my mind ever since we were house-sitting a couple months ago. I feel like a bit of a retard for being so slow to come to it: seems like most people know it by second nature. How about you?
Meanwhile, outside, the bluff keeps on rearranging itself...
More land falls down toward the ocean, more headlong trees, more tussocks of grass hanging on to clumps of displaced earth.
This runoff has only looked like this for about the past month. It's a funny hourglass effect--the beach has piled up around the trickling water, while the land from above falls down and silts in the stream.
Even the bedrock calves off in chunks, and even in this photo, you can see how friable the bluff's edge is. The spruce tree at the top didn't used to be at that angle!
I feel grateful to live in a place where change and reorganization are so constant and literal. Grateful that sometimes I can learn to put them into practice, again literally, in my own existence.
Are philosophical posts like this tedious for you? There are so many things I could choose to write about, and I've really been thinking about which ones are most interesting for readers. Any feedback is hugely appreciated.
And I do have a beet-bean stew to share, but I'll do so tomorrow in order to keep this short and sweet. Much love!









Yes, Ela, I do think these types of posts are interesting reading. I suspect you won't get as much feedback on these, because it simply takes more time and thought to respond. In contrast, if you write a post that showcases a recipe, it's very easy to make a quickie comment like, "oh, wow, that looks really delicious", or something to that effect. As feeling time-stressed seems to be a part of almost everyone's experience nowadays - I just think anything that requires a bit "more" will get less written response, but that certainly doesn't mean that the posts aren't read and appreciated, maybe even more than the recipe posts, as there are scores of sources for recipes, after all, but only one Ela, sharing her personal view (figuratively, and literally through a camera lense) of her world and of life. My feeling is it is ultimately a personal outlet for expression, and you should feel free to say whatever you are moved to say. I know of at least one blog, which I read from time to time, whose author completely turned off the comment feature. She enjoyed the back and forth for awhile, and then decided she just didn't need it anymore. She writes, and whoever wants to read it, does. Do what your heart tells you to do, I say.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for such a helpful and thoughtful comment, Mindy! I especially appreciate the distinction you make between 'interesting reading' and 'reading that excites a comment.' It's easy to think that if no one's commenting, no one's reading, but it may well not be true. I know that there are blogs I read and feel obligated to comment on, but there are also blogs that I read quite regularly and never comment on, because I simply don't feel like I have anything to add.
ReplyDeleteThanks again--that's a great way to think about it.
love
Ela
hi thanks for bringing up reoganization, its a reoccuring process but I'd like to think its a once-a-month clean up, or something you do when its starting to reaaally get dirty around the house. i know.. i can't turn a blind eye on a growning heap of mess and it shouldn't be undesirable - I should just look at it as giving love back to the space I'm creating as my home.. ah well, I second what Mindy wrote - write what you feel. I've written many personal stuff in the beginning with my blog and found myself writing only the stuff worth publishing in the end - which I felt wasn't much, so I didn't write as often as I hoped which didn't help improve my writing or just the habit of remembering the day.. ahh well. best of luck to you and enjoy the blog-process :)
ReplyDeleteFunny. I've been trying to reorganize around here, too. I'm not very good at it.
ReplyDeleteAlways love your outdoor photos. Gorgeous. You are surrounded by amazing scenery.
Katarina, thanks so much for your thoughts and for commenting! I agree so much with your thought about giving back love to the space in which I live. Definitely making progress with that--I should post a report soon.
ReplyDeletelove
Ela
Shannonmarie--yes, it is incredible scenery here.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure that having two kids around makes organizing a whole different level of challenge!
love
Ela