Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Fall Brings and Documentary Film Festival


Happy Sunday, Happy October! See the snow coming farther and farther down the mountains?
 Yes, Fall, for sure. Perhaps it's the chillier mornings and colder ambient temperature, but when I poured the hot water into my tea jar yesterday morning, it cracked! Amazingly, I managed to get it over the sink before the bottom fell right out--hot water and glass contained successfully.
It didn't feel like a success at the time, though--I was already running frantic, frustrated by a late start to the morning after getting home late Friday night. Oh, and it looks awful in the sink, but really, it's just powdered rhodiola root (supports adrenals) and a bunch of liver-supporting herbs.

Definitely an occasion for my 'security duster!'
Being fall means that the layers are creeping on: I'm already wearing an extra layer on top and am postponing the additional encumbrance of long-johns as late as I can, but truth be told, I'm going to need them soon. And for the next nine months...

Fall also means spending time near the 'sad light.'
 We've had this out since August, but as the mornings get darker it begins to feel more and more significant..

Fall also means that my days of biking are numbered for this year, and even the rowing machine is starting to become less appealing. It takes longer to work up a warming sweat when the outside temperature is close to freezing and there's precipitation into the bargain.

I love my rebounder, but lately every time I mend it, I get about 25 minutes' use out of it before another spring goes. So it's between mends again and I need something until I can get a better one.

I picked up this jump rope for about a dollar when I was in town...
 ...and amazingly, I can actually swing it in here--I didn't think there would be room! It's been a while since I've used a jump rope for dedicated exercise, so I'll appreciate any recommendations or how-tos!

The other thing that Fall signifies is that the 'indoor' activities around town are getting into full swing. This week, the Homer Theatre is hosting its Eight Annual Documentary Film Festival. Last night, we saw Soul Resonance--a movie produced by some local Homer folks, actually, about the spread of Zimbabwean music in North America and beyond. Marimbas, mbiras and cultural sharing--so much beautiful music. Homer is a huge marimba town (there are four bands, including a kids' band that is just phenomenal) and it so happens that some of the people who 'seeded' marimbas in Homer are the same people that seeded them in Hawaii where I used to live, so there were even some familiar faces in the movie! The marimba bands were present for the movie and performed afterwards, so it was a high-energy and high-local-pride evening.

I'm also hoping to take in Cave of Forgotten Dreams (in 3D, of all things--I've never seen a 3D film before), I Am, and The Interrupters--and maybe even a couple others. It'll be a sweet challenge to find the balance between taking advantage of offerings in town and hunkering down to get my work and writing done.

This advertising board, right by the farmers' market, seems to sum up the spirit of Homer. "Inspired Health" and "Spit Tobacco"--only here...
I'll be back with some food talk tomorrow.

Have you seen any great documentaries lately? Do you watch more movies when it gets darker outside?

8 comments:

  1. Oooh I was just thinking I needed some film recommendations. I have heard good things about I am.

    I think it's great you use the light. People in Seattle tend to think it's not so bad, but they all could probably benefit from the SAD light. It's not as big of a priority as you Alaskan folk.

    Enjoy the jump roping! I was always terrible at it so I have no advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard Werner Herzog interviewed about the making of The Cave of Forgotten Dreams, and it sounds amazing. I'd love to hear what you think if you get to see it.

    How about those rutabaga chips? Were they tasty? Worth doing again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ela,

    The days must feel so short there already as I'm feeling the loss of daylight intensely here. I miss being able to run before work - now it is pitch black until 7am.

    As for the jump rope - just jump. You can mix it up with hops on each foot, speed it up and slow it down. Put on some music and just get into a rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuff like that always happens to me when I'm in a hurry, too. I also probably would have stopped to take the time to document it in a photo :-)

    Jump roping is such great exercise. I remember it being so much easier when I was younger, though. My son seems to be able to jump forever. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mindy,

    Yes, the rutabaga chips were good, I think--but I don't think any of my folks would like them, so haven't shared them around--may try making some flat, more chip-shaped ones too.

    I'll definitely talk about "Cave" if/when we get to see it (hoping we'll fit it in on Thursday).
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  6. bitt--another one that you might like that is part of the film festival is "Project Nim"--about a chimp raised as a child but I don't know that much more about it. I don't think I'm going to get to see it but I might order it on netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lisa--yes, the days are definitely drawing in here. I've been wondering whether they keep a track (e.g. at the High School) thawed for running during the winter but haven't investigated--is there maybe an indoor track you could use? (Not the same as running outside, I know).
    I'm enjoying the jump-roping and getting nicely sore!
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Shannonmarie--too funny about stopping to take a pic of a disaster moment!
    One of the things that appeals to me about jumping rope is that it is something that kids do 'for fun'--a good space to aim at.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!