She structures the material well, considering that she draws from such a plethora of disciplines, traditions and anecdotal experiences. To read the book is to be immersed in the understanding that body/mind/emotion are interconnected and mutually influential. This immersion is particularly timely for me at the moment as I go through this cleansing process. And of course, I have always believed in body/mind/emotional interdependence, yet I have long been aware that my self-talk is almost uniformly derogative and counter-productive, so I'm seeking all the encouragement and help I can get in actively changing that!
Some of the strategies may seem obvious, like diverting your attention elsewhere, or using affirmations, and the strategy of pretending - pretending you have already achieved your goal, pretending you have a better attitude toward something than you in fact do - is one that I grasp intellectually but still feel somewhat uncomfortable with. I know that there are always many possible ways to feel about a situation and I would like to be able to choose how I feel, but sometimes pretending I feel otherwise than I do seems like denial.
And in fact the most helpful thing that this book brought me was the recognition that in order to effectively counter negative feelings, you have to first recognize them. My tendency has been to stuff and stifle things that I think I shouldn't be feeling, not even acknowledging them, and I now see that this can lead straight to dogma and black-and-white thinking. Now, acknowledging negatives in order to dispel them seems kind of at odds with the 'pretending' strategy, but that's probably just me being picky. I also know that these things don't have to be internally consistent, as diverse as we all are.
It is a very readable and enjoyable book, and the author has definitely been successful in being of service through her experiences. One minor quibble is the typeface, which is somewhat hard to read and frequently mis-spaced.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!