Saturday, March 20, 2010

Photos, Mark 2

Now I get to laugh at myself! I had so much resistance and anxiety and residual ludditeism, and apart from the horrendously slow internet connection and the fact that each photo took minutes to upload, that last post was ridiculously easy!

I am going to follow up with a few more pics that I wanted to share, and leave that last post unedited for posterity, to laugh at myself. And tomorrow, I promise that I will post another 'wordstalk' and also share some more about my no-sugar energy bar experiments.

I also need to give a shout-out of thanks to our brother-in-law, Larry, another wonderful photographer in the family, who gifted us the camera back at New Year's 2009! Larry - finally we've gotten to it!

Those of you who know about our long-drawn saga toward maybe one day getting running water to the cabin will be amused by this one:

This is the head of our driveway, the end of the cul-de-sac, and we really did tie the 1100-gallon tank down with fishing line and drive it home last summer. (This was in July. Sweet to see green grass on the road.) Doesn't it just look like a giant snail? Even sillier: we were out of water at the time, so you can't see our 6-gallon jugs crammed and jammed in, but we drove our snail into the Safeway parking lot to fill them - and got some strange looks indeed!

Every solstice around full moon there are some enormous tides, and last June we went across the bay in Phil's little boat,
and saw some amazingly altered and challenged life. Here are the starfish hanging out to dry:
high and dry, poor things! And here's one more for perspective - amazing how shallow the water is compared to normal:
The tideline is above the top of the photo!

Well, those times are coming up again soon, or so it feels, with the snow melting, willows budding and sun shining - but we don't put the shovels away yet!

I'll leave you (if I can get them to upload before running out of time) with a couple pictures from last week's blizzard:
This little yearling moose (the smallest folks have seen around here lately) was hanging around our cabin most of the worst day of the blizzard - here, she's trying to eat the mountain ash tree.
Here, she's working on our raspberry canes - look how much more snowcovered she is by later in the day! Talk about tough...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!