Monday, October 10, 2011

Failure When Deserving Success; Harvest Pictures

I don't know about where you are, but it's getting mighty frosty up here!
Thankfully, the last three days have been gloriously sunny--clear skies, cold nights. Our garden beds are starting to look forlorn: we're glad that we (especially Phil) spent a lot of time last week pulling things out of the ground (more harvest pics in a minute).
First, I want to talk about the painful poignancy of experiencing failure when you absolutely know that you have done everything possible to ensure--to deserve--success. (Of course, slapping on the label of 'failure' is adding to the pain, but I'll get to that in a moment.)

It's normal to expect to build muscle if you exercise consistently. It's normal to expect to achieve some success and recognition if you work countless hours on a project designed to benefit other people. It's normal to expect that if you spend lots of energy digging and hauling, bringing natural fertilizers to your garden, you will grow better and more nutritious vegetables. But sometimes, the fertilizer you bring in has weed seeds in it, or contains more nitrogen than the plants need to thrive. Or, you spend countless hours and pour your talent into your writing, but cannot get your book (or even a few poems) published (yes, failure where success is deserved is a big part of being a writer).

Or, you exercise consistently, vigorously, for many months; you never ever eat junk, or overeat, or do any other counterproductive thing, and after all that time you see virtually no change in your body composition. That's me. Phil was an athletic coach for many years, and while he's constantly careful to insist that he loves how my body is, he too is expressing surprise that no change has happened with all the work I've been doing: he knows how badly I want it.

In the bigger scheme of things, being of service to other people and getting my writing out there are both far more important than my body composition goals. But the body stuff is so near and direct that I tend to think, "If I can't succeed in this, how could I possibly succeed in anything else?" So this very personal sense of failure can infect everything else.

I've been patient! I've set reasonable goals! I've done the work! I've formulated and repeated affirmations, I've visualized the goal achieved! And all for nothing, or nothing but some improvements in general strength and stamina.

But this isn't a rant or a pity party. I meant what I said in my post about purpose and audience, that really, the only way to make this kind of issue meaningful is to look for what I can say or do toward the positive about it; what I can learn that I can share with others.

So, we know my endocrine system is messed up. In fact, it bears remembering that until about eight months ago, I couldn't exercise at all--so, from a different perspective, there is some success here. When I see my ND this week, I'm going to ask very specific questions about the whole body composition situation related to endocrine problems, and how I can remedy it; and will share here.  I will open myself to the possibility that cutting out fat has contributed to my problems and will find out 'how much of it' I should add in (acknowledging that my recent efforts to include it have been somewhat minimal), and will share ideas on here for how to incorporate that in preparing food.

The feedback from Phil, who is an experienced coach, is a preventative against slipping into self-flagellation. With his observations, I can't justify calling myself fat and lazy, although that's definitely a reflex response to this kind of frustration.

I will acknowledge that patience, persistence, affirmations and visualizations have worked and do work for many people: that maybe I simply need to be more patient, more persistent. That rejecting the affirmations and visualizations may have contributed to my sense of despair: starting them up again may engender more peace around the issue. And I may also need to look at underlying negative voices that undercut the affirmations. I will be unbearably honest with myself and share on here whatever I think might be helpful.

One more thing: I haven't submitted a piece of my writing anywhere for many months. Submitting work for publication, receiving multiple rejections, sending them out again, is an important part of being a writer that I have been neglecting, partly for the simple reason that I'm afraid of the sense of failure. But I can use this experience with my own body to remind myself that in fact, I am very used to dealing with failure. And maybe, as William Stafford would say, I can continue to strive to fail better.

Thank you for letting me share this: I feel that transforming feelings of despair into something more positive and constructive for the purposes of the blog is helping me to feel and be better about it away from the computer screen as well.

Now for some harvest pictures.
I keep finding more and more monstrous rutabagas. I think this one may be bigger than my head!
 Here's another shot of it--big and multifaceted.
And oh, we have spuds! I'm so grateful to Phil for getting them dug before everything freezes, although I'll miss my routine of the last month or so, of going out to the garden when preparing a meal and simply pulling as many as I wanted out of the ground.
 We washed them in our water catchment, let them dry in the sun, and sorted through them, setting aside any that were cracked by too much nitrogen (from kelp), or bored by worms, or gnawed by rodents. Those should be eaten first--they won't keep as well.
We have some huge ones and some delicate little ones. Guessing maybe 150lbs of potatoes all told.
Do you have experience of working for many months toward a goal and not achieving it nor making progress toward it? What has helped you to live with that?

12 comments:

  1. I've definitely had my experience with failure, even after putting so much effort into something. I try not to let it get to me and either focus on the positives (for example, check out that huge rutabaga and pounds of potatoes; you also have a really good blog that I like to visit) or use that failure to inspire me to try harder to reach my next goal.

    You do have many positives, and I believe you will see more of them in your future. The failures will help you appreciate your achievements more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh girl I totally hear ya on failure. lori and i have been feeling like one lately too. trying to eat a clean diet, workout regularly, etc, still have health issues is very frustrating, but try to remember all that we learned. how we are a little better, a little close...and you will too, get closer to your goals. do not give up!!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the hardest things, I know. I can definitely relate with those feelings of working so hard and it not showing up. I wish I knew what was causing it for you too. I guess your body just needs more time? Either way - keep taking care of yourself. I know you will. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ela, this post really moved me. I had a similar experience. I had a breast reduction a few years ago, and thought that would solve all my exercise obstacles, that I'd be fit and perfect. But then, after six month of exercise, there was no movement on the scale. Thankfully, I had some adult acne that was bugging me and they checked my hormones at a metabolism clinic, where they discovered I was pre-diabetic (my whole family has diabetes). Boom - they gave me some medication and I took a bunch of classes and soon enough the weight started coming off (again, I was still exercising like mad, but this time, my body's cells weren't working against me). It felt like a triumph to learn of my body's own brokenness, if that makes sense. I didn't feel like it was so much a failure of will. I felt sympathy for my little cells not getting their sugar and conserving all the fat they could get and begging for carbohydrates. It's strange, the relationships, women in particular, tend to have with their bodies. I know I must have body image dysmorphia - I have hated the way I've looked my whole life. Stupid, huh? But knowing about this pre-diabetes thing really gave me more compassion about my body and makes me want health for its sake, not so I can look good naked (though I still would like that, of course...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not good with failure, so often I will quit things I'm not good at and do just the things I am good at. Not a good way to grow though.

    As for exercise, I have minimal expectations for it, to feel good after or while doing it, and to feel stronger from it. I am not at the point where I am able to amp up to the vigor required to make massive physical changes. Perhaps your body is still healing and try to make smaller goals from it. And be glad that you are strong enough to do it now. And you will get stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the honesty of this post! We've all had those moments of "lazy and fat" thoughts, and you lay them out with such humility and candor. Still, it does dismay me to hear that you feel so dissapointed, and I think there are a few things you should keep in mind:

    1) Your metabolism and hormones must be significantly different from those of a "normal" person because of your history. As you say, simply being able to be active at all is a gift.

    2) A lot of people don't have muscular body types. I've been an avid exerciser for a decade, with healthy and unhealthy permutations. Today, I'm a decidedly healthy exerciser, but I don't have a muscular look, and that's normal! I never have had one. There's plenty of research that some people build muscle and have a "cut" look more easily than others, and there isn't much you can do to change that. In spite of what is said in fitness circles.

    3) I think it would be a fruitful exercise for you to stop setting goals for a while. Seriously! It seems to me that you are too often putting yourself on dietary and body initiatives. I love the spirit of goal-setting, but, given your history, wouldn't it be interesting to do what you haven't done in a long time (I would imagine) and simply fall into a comfortable pattern, rather than set up experiments? Just food for thought. I've lived the experiments and the goals, and I think they do have a healthy place, but I also think that it can be very freeing to simply say, "I no longer have a goal. I have a lifestyle. It's mine."

    Gena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannonmarie--thank you so much for your sweet words. Focusing on the positives and allowing the failures to enhance the sense of achievement when something does go right-- those both sound like really good ways to transmute the pain of it.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Michelle--I'm so glad that we can cheer each other on and remind each other to be patient and persistent as things do get better.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Tina--it's interesting to hear that you've had your share of frustration as well: you know how I'm in awe of your current success in goal-setting and follow-through and general good sense about the whole thing.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie--the relationships women have with their bodies--my gosh, there's so much to talk about there.
    But first, I'm so glad that finding out what was going on with your cells gave you that sense of compassion: probably as a parent, it also gave you some desire to feel good in your body, and encourage your child to value it (yours and hers) also.

    (Huge transparency here)--Although I might not know the full details of what's going on right now, I do know that all my issues now are a result of having spent what's still the greater proportion of my adult life extremely underweight and starving (speaking of dysmorphia, I still don't recognize myself). So, instead of feeling compassion, I feel like it's 'all my own fault' and the cruelest of ironies. Sometimes I don't even feel grateful that I survived.

    As a writer, this is 'my dirty secret'--source of so much shame, cause of my failures in various arenas, eroder of current credibility, and yet the realization is dawning that I'm going to have to write about it. Scary...

    Thanks again for sharing so transparently and offering the compassion piece.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  11. bitt--you're so right that I should feel glad to be able to exercise at all!

    As far as avoiding things you're bad at and focusing on what you're good at, I think that you can grow that way. I think that only doing what you're bad or inexperienced at can be very demoralizing (I did that for a while when I lived in Hawaii, just focused on doing things that were hard for me, and I tended to pick courses in college that I thought would be challenging for me rather than particularly enjoyable or easy to ace).
    My experience from all that says that it's definitely better to at least mostly do what you're best at.

    Many thanks again for your words.
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Gena--that is some revolutionary advice! I think it must be excellent advice, because it sounds so hard to do. And it is true: since I stopped being a high fruit raw person, I've been bouncing from one thing to the other for what's now been several years. Which makes it hard to imagine being otherwise, but suggests the wisdom of trying just that.

    Thanks also for the points about my own body's unwelcome uniqueness and the fact that despite what fitness centers preach, not all bodies are going to come out flawlessly toned. Those are some truly wise words.

    With vast appreciation,
    love
    Ela

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and endeavor to respond to each one individually. Until I have figured out a fully automated comment platform, I try to 'hand-deliver' responses to comments to your email address. If I don't know your email address, please check back here within two days for your response!